Monday 16 April 2012

The epic dream of Issigonis

I was not there when it was time to say goodbye.

It may have been a bit too much for me emotionally because I had known him all my life.

I did spend some of the morning of the day of his departure fussing around to make sure he looked presentable. There was quite a lot to do but then there always is when it comes to selling off a member of the family.

The sun streamed in that particular day when I opened up the double doors. I found it difficult to adjust to the contrast in the light as I shuffled alongside to remove his polythene cover. A film of fine silty dust transferred from the lightweight shroud and into the chill, stale air, only visible when blowing through the shafts of light.

He was already six when I was born but I always regarded him as being so much older and not just that but old fashioned as well. He was a very distinguished character, quite dapper and much admired on the days when he was running well enough to be seen out and about.

For the last 20 years he had been convalescing . A bit deflated and sorry looking but breeding and pedigree can permeate through any superficial state or appearance. A few people had come to see him, perhaps with some intentions to take him away and give him a new lease of life but they were not acceptable to us in their attitude and in their low opinion of his worth.

The intrusions were sometimes quite upsetting as there was a lot of poking and probing, body parts lifted up and closely examined under bright work lights. The laying on of hands by skilled practitioners was often followed by a sharp intake of breathe and some tut, tuts and not a little blasphemous profanity.

One prospective party insisted on using his toe end to elicit a swift kick to the nether parts. I felt like returning the compliment but resisted out of respect and deference for my companion of nearly 50 years.

In my childhood he was ever present on a daily basis. The whole family would go out for the day and we would be safe and secure in his company. Our schoolfriends loved him as well and on birthdays there would be crowding around to enjoy a picnic and a good sing song on the way home. He was to one and all a creche, nursery and playground. Inevitably we, as a growing family, drifted away but he tagged along every time we were relocated to somewhere and was always given a shelter and indeed pride of place at the new house.

He was slowing down noticeably when I was a teenager but was still able to teach me how to drive and I have not forgotten that time and the feeling of a new experience and mobile freedom. I think that was about the last time he got out into the open and he was truly and gracefully retired. 

There was without doubt a genuine intention for a full therapeutic makeover but pressing and priority issues arose to diminish the available budget. My Father did pass on many worthy attributes to me but unfortunately being practical as far as car maintenance was concerned was not one of them. I would not be a good custodian.

So, it is the end of the very long era of our association with our very good friend and beloved family member,  the Morris Minor.

He was loaded onto a trailer on newly inflated tyres and looked suitably magnificent. I like to imagine that he was understandably excited about the next stage in his illustrious life in another adoring and caring family.

There is a very good prognosis for a full recovery. May he rest in pieces......for a short while anyway.

No comments: