Thursday 21 March 2013

Tepid Tub

First published in 1985 the wonderful 'Bathwater's Hot' by Shirley Hughes, was a bedtime favourite of my children.

It is one of the few stories that I can still recite word for word nearly twenty years later.

Our, now worn and dog-eared version is a small, slim, square paperback often lost in the folds of larger books or down the side of the bed but always the subject of a great and determined search to relocate and repatriate with its greatest fans.

The text is about 109 words in length, and if delivered by a tired and work-weary parent at about 7.30pm, it represents that perfection in being the precise amount of time required for infants to become bleary eyed and fall asleep. I admit that I was often found dozing with the final page open and a happy, peaceful expression on my face.

I know it may be regarded as treasonable but I have been tempted to update this classic now that my children are young adults......

Facebook's hot,
Texting's cold,
Friends parents look very young,
But Our's are getting old.

Some things you can E-bay away,
If they're nice and cheap
Here's something that looks cool
Shit, it sold last week

Some things are hard to do
Some which make us proud
Twitter very quietly
PLAY MUSIC LOUD!

It's fun to live very fast
What is this slow?
The aching head says stop
But the party crowd says go

Best efforts to be solvent
Never thought we'd say
Rather wise to skimp and save
Pensions, Tax, PAYE

Night time means sleep
Day Time's so bright
The boss says good morning
And childhood says 'good night'

I have an overwhelming sense of sadness and I apologise to my children for this seditious act.

No comments: