Monday 14 November 2016

Die Cast 2

I wanted for nothing in my childhood.

I realise that now in my 6th decade on this planet but at the time I would often find myself day dreaming about all sorts of toys, games and material goods.

I was too young and stupid at that tender age to realise that such things were not at all important compared to a stable, loving home with all of the security and affirmation that went with it.

It was that solid foundation in my formative years that empowered me to concentrate on my education and general development into the well rounded ( or is it chubby?)character that I am today.

Of course, I could still let my mind wander through the pages of childhood comics, catalogues and, as I wrote about yesterday, those wonderful brochures produced by the big four toy car makers, Corgi, Dinky, Matchbox and Hot Wheels.

I would find myself pausing over the colourful illustrations of that year's new models and in particular the themed boxed sets of Corgi, Tour de France vehicles.

They were such iconic features of that elite cycling event although, in reality, I had not really seen or followed it much as there was hardly any TV coverage on the three UK channels and given the limited involvement of British sportsmen in the races of the late 1960's and early to mid 1970's hardly any column space in the newspapers. In fact, it was just the clever depiction of the vehicles that caught my interest.

Here are a few of them.



This was the packaging for the Camera Car about 1967

Renault R16 with cameraman and moveable parts
and below the team or managers car


                                              Peugeot Team Car and riders, about 1972

                                        The next two are from an American manufacturer


                                                          1946 Press Car

 
                                                  Promotional caravan for Perrier

No comments: