Sunday 12 March 2017

The Great Escape

I have an analogy which is relevant to the subject of my writing today.

If at first it is unclear and a bit confusing then just stick with it and all, I hope, will be clear.

Here goes.

I liken full time employment to being in a tunnel. There are many similarities.

a) You are focused.
b) There are restrictions and restraints.
c) It is often a case of working long hours without seeing the daylight.
d) It can be hot and stifling.
e) A schedule has to be kept to in the interests of progressing forward and
f) There are those who are just waiting for you to make a mistake and give away your position.

Crikey, I even surprised myself with that list.

Anyway, if that is the analogy then I am thrilled to report that  my good friend Dave has just escaped from the tunnel and has made his bid for freedom.

Yes, in other words he has retired.

I am pleased for him over his 3 decades of public service as a Firefighter in which time he has on many occasions put himself in harms way for the safety and rescue of others.

I remain, perpetuating the Great Escape theme, still in the tunnel clutching my briefcase and papers and practicing key phrases such as " I used to be a .........", "I have plenty of time on my hands now" and "I can lie in bed until about 11am on a weekday if I bloody well want to".

Me and Dave go back a long way.

We were at school together in the sixth form years and even started off training in the same vocation. Our careers took very different directions thereafter but we always kept in touch and would meet up whenever the opportunity arose.

Dave was always welcome at our family house and it was there that he first mentioned to us that he was going in for the Fire Service. It was a difficult choice.

On the one hand he was in steady employment but would have to hand in his notice to be able to undertake the rigorous and very competitive selection process to be a fireman.

Knowing Dave to be a very determined person, if not a bit single minded or what they used to call just plain stubborn he nevertheless would need some support and encouragement to follow his dream.

It was not a case of talking the lad up, that was not needed because he already possessed a unique set of lifeskills which would make him a perfect fit in the uniform of the fire and rescue service.

Under pressure he is cool and methodical. He commands respect and yet enjoys a good laugh. He is loyal and has always had an ethic of hard work.

It was a tough assessment in physical and mental disciplines.

Dave has always been a sportsman and his natural attributes will have given him the edge over the many hundreds of other candidates over a gruelling few days on ladders and amongst the fire tenders and hosepipes.

I am sure that we had a party to celebrate Dave's successful appointment to the Humberside Fire Brigade all those years ago.

I will be certain to share a drink with him to mark his dedication and meritous service in the coming weeks. That is assuming that he is not too busy with his status of being out of the tunnel and revelling in the bright light and fresh air that I have heard are some of the benefits of retirement.

No comments: