Saturday 3 June 2017

The Moral Maize

For residents of the UK the sight of the distinctive and tall crop that is Maize has become commonplace in recent years in our rural environment. It used to be only really seen in movies from the Americas where it has taken on a whole entity of its own for horror, suspense, mystery and menace. It is the perfect plant to, for example, accommodate a crop circle or conceal a visitor from outer space.



Having on an unhealthily regular basis watched M. Night Shayamalan's 'Signs' I have developed a particular fear of the first metre and a half depth of Maize fields and what makes it even more frightening is that it is now more of a home grown reality.

My basis of fear may seem illogical where there is a huge tract of land ie a field covered in maize plants but is grounded in the fact that this initial shallow area is the part that aliens always emerge from with the most sinister intent towards humankind.

Anything beyond that depth and up to the entry ramp of the spacecraft I have no problem with.
Get that far into the clutches of an Alien and you will be well beyond salvation and therefore any opportunity for fear.



I was therefore utterly convinced that a perfect circle of compacted grass that I came across in a meadow not far from the city boundary was not of this world.

The circle in the field was mystifying because of its proximity to a busy road and houses but with the latest version of a cloaking system such as that  developed in 'Star Trek-The Way Home' even the densest of residential districts would be oblivious to the comings and goings of a spacecraft.

I got closer to the grass circle to investigate.

The blades of grass were strangely arranged in submission and with abrasion marks as though the tastiest part of the shoots had been harvested in a systematic way.

The outer rim of the phenomenon was eroded in a shallow depression which worked out in a spiral configuration.

I could attribute this to the decreasing rotational mass of the craft on landing.

There were no indications of scorching or damage from the descent or lift off manoeuvre which indicated a very advanced form of propulsion. Certainly a well progressed race.

Within the radius of the circle were small patches of brown residue from which sprouted an apparently thriving range of flora and fauna.


Could these be the very building blocks of the universe, a form of genetic growth boost?

I picked up, smelt and tasted the brown material. It was pungent and earthy but not without acidity and a fruity aroma.

In the very centre of the ring I found a large metallic probe inserted into the soil to some depth. This could not be moved however hard I heaved at it and I speculated this to be a very part of the flying saucer, perhaps an anchor to earth, a ground source heat conduit or a means to replenish energy supplies in an eco-friendly way some 2 million light years ahead of Honda making it available to the public.

I could only stand and wonder at what the universe and our nearest space neighbours could teach us.

In my enthusiasm to investigate this strange feature I had lost all perception of time. Perhaps that was down to the remains of a time travelling window in that place caused by the very bending of the space-time continuum.



It was now quite dark and foreboding even though I was only a few hundred metres away from streetlights.

As I made my way quickly out of what I was convinced had been a UFO landing site I almost tripped over a small horse tethered to a long rope and happily working its concentric way around the lush vegetation.

My fear was accentuated for the poor animal and the frightful things it may have witnessed.

We may never know,




No comments: