Saturday 10 March 2018

Andy Williams


I am a regular user of the You Tube Channel. 

It is a unique resource that allows me to indulge in nostalgia and reminiscence at will. 

Say, for example I am reminded of a song, movie scene or TV sketch from anytime over the last 50 years I can, usually without fail, summon it up form the seemingly bottomless vaults of that internet company. 

Of course, my viewing habits are of interest to You Tube, its associates and affiliates in compiling a profile that can be put to use to sell me goods and services with adverts and offers appearing magically on my phone or PC whenever I have a spare few moments in the day to browse. 

This is the territory of the algorithm. 

I only have to search for something and I am bombarded with similar items incessantly as though seeking to wear me down mentally and physically so that I eventually give in and make a purchase. 

I am therefore a bit mystified by the appearance at the top of the promotions, every time without fail that I log onto You Tube, of the American singer Andy Williams and his rendition of the Frankie Valli and Bob Gaudio hit from 1967 of “Can’t take my eyes off you”. 

It is a wonderful song with tender, meaningful lyrics and a great tune and I have been known to play it loud and proud as a perfect singalong track whilst in the car or around the house. 

The last time I did this madcap thing was about 5 years ago and yet it persists within what is evidently my personal and customised algorithm via this media.

I am the first to admit that in my childhood I was an avid viewer of the Andy Williams Show when it was broadcast on UK Television and in particular loved the scenes in between the singing and special guest appearances involving “The Cookie Bear”. He was a huge grizzly who would constantly plead with Williams for cookies or biscuits with the reaction by the mild mannered singer of increasing anger and exasperation resulting in the catchphrase of “Not now, note ever, NEVER”. 

The bear, on this rebuttal would then turn straight to camera, make a depressed sound and then fall flat on its face. 

It was hilarious slapstick behaviour. 

This was a regular, as I recall, weekly TV event although with the wonder that is You Tube I have, in my adult life, found that in fact the series was quite short lived and I have probably imagined its actual impact on my life at the time. 

It is possible to be a bit paranoid about the part played by the dreaded algorithms in our on-line lives. 

Some in my family have tried to assess the all pervading nature of this technology by intentionally chit-chatting amongst themselves about specific branded goods such as domestic appliances and beauty products via Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. 

Sure enough, within a few days of each experimental mention of something they have all, through their own media, been approached in either a brash up front or slow insidious way with targeted advertisements about just the same things. 

So, I ask myself, why does Andy Williams still crop up in my notifications and inbox? 

I have tried to trick the system by only searching and viewing on You Tube for a tight circle of artists from Metal to Punk, MOTR to Country and Western, Classic to Prog Rock  and even finger in the ear Folk stuff and yet whose face is always there to greet me when I log on- Yes, Andy Williams. 

It is now a bit of a challenge to try to evade the man and whatever message he has devised for me by the strange quirk of mathematics and computer science. 

My latest diversionary tactic has been to constantly play another great tune and lyric from the 1960’s, that of Matt Munro and “On days like these”, you know the one- it starts off with some Italian and then waxes beautifully about a relationship, long since lost. 

More importantly it was the opening song on the soundtrack of the iconic movie “The Italian Job” and there is a particularly good You Tube version with footage from the film of a suave gangster throwing his sports car around mountainside roads before, spoiler alert, he meets a nasty end. 

I am just waiting for this new focus of my internet attention to oust the persistent algorithm generated Andy Williams although I am a bit concerned about what might take its place- what with the theme of my new anthem being linked to crime, anti social driving habits and, another spoiler alert, the inappropriate use of heavy civil engineering machinery in Alpine tunnels.

Try below link

Road Safety Tips on Italian Roads

No comments: