Monday 16 March 2020

30 years of Pop

In one of those idle moments in my life, and we all do have them inspite of feeling under pressure and strain from modern life and all that it throws at us, I found myself messing about with the tuning of the digital radio stations on the entertainment centre in the car.

Surfing channels is a doddle on a DAB system and a massive improvement from when, in my teenage years, I had use of a very old valve radiogram where the dial had to be slowly rotated in order to catch the likes of Radio Moscow, Luxembourg and Caroline. Of course the set had to be switched off after an hour as it overheated and smelt a bit smoky.

To my absolute delight I found, stacked up on each other on the DAB listings three commercial frequencies broadcasting music from, without fear of contradiction, the best three decades ever of pop and rock music from the 1970's, the 80's and 90's.

The fact that they are from the last century is difficult for me to process especially as I am now in my 6th decade.

Although I mentioned a period of idleness that is not to say that I was not restless and with a very low concentration level on anything. So, naturally I just flitted back and forth, in sequence from the earliest to the most recent over the thirty years to sample the great tunes and artists on offer.

This was a  reasonably seamless operation apart from those interminable interruptions brought about by inane and banal adverts for national brands and services.

So I thought it would be interesting and fun to compile a sample of the simultaneous trio of songs over an hour or so and then offer a bit of a commentary to explain which of each three got my vote.

This follows no set criteria but was largely based on the return of the strange familiarity that arose from when I will have heard the tunes for the first time back in the day... in that 20th Century.

Why not have a go yourself as I expect some considerable variation in choices dependant on how old you are, where you grew up and listened to the tracks or had rites of passage in your lives where one or more of the songs formed the soundtrack.

Here goes.

Set 1;

1970's - Sister Sledge with Lost in Music.
80's- Ingram and MacDonald- Ya mo be there
90's- Roxette-It must have been love

Straight in at the deep end with this lot, all of great merit and classy vocals and lyrics but for sheer harmony and rock-quality it goes to Roxette.

Set 2:

1970's- James Brown- Get on up
80's- Chrissie Hynde and UB40- I got you babe
90's- Bryan Adams and Mel C- When you're gone

Where do I start to judge these? Soulful, laid back and rockin' but my teenage years were to the sounds of Hynde and reggae.

Set 3;

1970's- Rose Royce- wishing on a star
80's- The Human League- Don't you want me baby
90's- Wilson Phillips- Hold On

I was at University and the electropop League album Dare was on permanently just about everywhere but my vote must go to the wonderful Rose Royce

Set 4;

1970's- Chic- Dance, Dance, Dance
80's- Prince- Kiss
90's- Shola Ama- You might need somebody

I can't actually stand Prince and the 90's song is most lilting but I went to my first proper disco in the 70's and Chic helped me to strut my stuff on the dancefloor, however awkward that looked.

Set 5;

1970's- Natalie Cole- This will be
80's- INXS- need you tonight
90's- Charles and Eddie- Would I lie to you

I think Natalie was a decade out of date. I was never into INXS but a recent Hutchence documentary was really interesting and his early death a tragedy. However, for sheer harmony and rhythm the winners are from the 1990's

Set 6:

1970's- The Isley Brothers- That body
80's-  Cheryl Lynn- Got to be real
90's- Whitney Houston- I'm every woman

 My radio must have broken down at the time of these releases. Whitney can have it.

Set 7:

1970's- Smokey Robinson- Tears of a Clown
80's- Curiosity killed the Cat- Misfit
90's- Heart- All I want to do

I have to give all three the top vote as they are mega-hits-all of them

Set 8;

1970's- Curtis Mayfield- Move on Up
80's- Mai Tai- History
90's- Alannah Myles- Black Velvet

Some big hitters here but for sultry tones my vote goes to Black Velvet.

Set 9:

1970's- Heatwave- Boogie Nights
80's- Dire Straits- Money for Nothing
90's- Britney Spears- Born to make you happy

I'll pass on Britney as although talented there was a big hype. Dire Straits and MTV were inseparable but Boogie Nights got my feet tapping

Set 10;

1970's- Diana Ross- Ain't no Mountain High enough
80's- Abba- Super Trooper
90's- George Michael and Elton John- Don't let the sun go down

Crikey. I'll sit on the fence and put all three of these in the top spot

Set 11;

1970's - Barry Manilow- I write the songs
80's- Amii Stewart- Friends
90's - Sixpence none the Richer- kiss me

Manilow is a legend, Amii a bit of an unknown to me and Sixpence is harmonious bliss

Set 12;

1970's- Dire Straits- Sultans of Swing
80's- Mr Mister- Broken wings
90's- Maxi Priest- Close to you

One of the first albums I ever bought featured Sultans of Swing and so that gets my vote. The others are a very close joint second

Let me now what you voted for.


No comments: