Tuesday 2 June 2020

More Molestrangling and Ageing Juvenile Antics

This is another bit of transcribed comedy from the 1968 Series 4 of the BBC Radio Show "Round the Horne". Marty Feldman has moved to pastures new and so regular writer Barry Took s joined by new team members of Brian Cooke, Johnnie Mortimer and Donald Webster whose accumulative talents included Man about the House, Robins Nest, Keep it in the family, Father dear father and That Was The Week That Was.

The short piece is entitled "Portrait of a Marriage and stars Dame Celia Molestrangler and the ageing juvenile Binky Huckaback. Just to say that the one-dimensional script is no substitute for the superior over-acting and dramatic timing and delivery of the lines by the fantastic Betty Marsden and Hugh Paddick. You must try to listen to the performance in all its glory. I apologise for any mis-hearing of the dialogue during the scribbling down process.


Charles?

What is it Fiona?

What's happened to us?

Well, you made some cocoa whilst I took the dog for a walk, then we played some Happy Families

I don't mean in the last ten minutes. I mean what's happened to us, whatever happened to our hopes, our fears, our dreams, our ambitions, our plans, our enthusiasms, our expectations, our, our, our, our

Go on

I can't , there just aren't the words

How true. We've lorst something, somethings gawn, lorst and gawn

Is it, is it irretrievable, is it irrevocable, irreversible, indissoluble, is it irrisoluble?

I don't know, Fiona, it's either that or irrisipilid, I'm not sure. Did we want too much? Did we dream dreams, hope hopes, desire desires, bliss bliss?

I don't know Charles and yet....... I'm certain

I don't know either but yet I too am sure, sure , positive, certain, definite, unequivocal, categorical, indubitable, doubtless, fanatical, indoctrinaire and yet......uncertain

Can't we begin again?

Can we?

Oh Can't we?

I suppose we can, 

We must, 

We will

Oh Charles, Oh Charles does it mean we're going to start again?

Yes my Darling, yes, yes, yes. Here you have Master Bun the Baker

Thank you Charles, the Baker's Son. I've always wanted him.


No comments: