Sunday 5 November 2023

My very spurious link to the Gunpowder Plot

I came out of a secondary education with some decent qualifications that allowed me to pursue a career for now just over a third of a century. It actually seems just like a journey of a few minutes duration.

In a quiet moment I may log onto the Old Boys website of the school and see what is going on or if any of my contemporaries have achieved notoriety, anything else or sadly have passed away prematurely. I am that sort of age group where a dodgy prostate or a fast motorbike can finish you off.

Trawling through my own secondary school magazines during a clear-out I was reminded that I had followed in the long faded footsteps of quite a character by the name of Thomas Percy who had attended the same place of learning in the mid to late 16th Century.

By all accounts a tall, striking character with a bit of a reputation as a ladies man in his adult years and a born leader and motivator. I have in comparison about 20% of his traits I am ashamed to say but can still identify with his motivation and his later place in English history. 

His background was certainly not without connections and patronage from the great Percy dynasty which ran from their ancestral home at Alnwick Castle to some considerable distance beyond including some representation in East Yorkshire and the City, that I call my home, of full true name Kingstown Upon Hull.

He was born in 1560 which was a busy time in England contributing to a few chapters of the nations history. Little is actually known about his early years other than he went to what the same school as I had- Beverley Grammar School, the oldest state school in England having been founded in 700 AD.

Born a Protestant he became disenchanted with the faith and at some time in the late 1500's he converted to Catholicism and embraced the doctrine leaving behind the erstwhile antics of his youth. I like to think that the Grammar School, as with myself, gave him a strong knowledge base and he became good at matters of finance and property. This proved quite useful in the company of others including Christopher Wright, John Wright, Robert Catesby and their impressionable compatriot Guido.

He was adept at raising monies for a particular quest and also skilful at negotiating leases on London properties including the Undercroft or cellars to the seat of Government, The House of Lords. 

The group, which may have been successful if left under the more prominent marshalling of Thomas Percy failed when Guido, or under his anglicised name Guy Fawkes was discovered just at the point of lighting the fuse to some powder kegs in protest against Parliament. 

In full flight from the fury of the Authorities Thomas was hunted down and reputedly killed by the same musket ball as Robert Catesby. 

His body was later exhumed and displayed on a pike as a lesson to those intent on the same protest path. 
I got detention at Beverley Grammar once for something quite similar.

His name remains fairly unknown amongst the conspirators in the regular telling of the tale of that 5th November but will always be mentioned with pride in the coming together of us Old Boys who never really did very much at all.

No comments: