Sunday 11 October 2020

Slate Tales Least Stale

In what has only felt like the blink of an eye, or at least since the 27th May this year, I have now covered the first 10,000 miles in the Tesla Model 3. 

The sturdiness of the car was a primary concern. After all it was built in America. 

I rely on my mode of transport so heavily in my daily workload that any time spent off the road would be a real problem. Not that I have had too much trouble with the previous succession of internal combustion engined vehicles. 

In fact the benchmark of Volkswagen reliability over the last three Passat Estates is the one against which the new Tesla will always be compared. These previous cars accounted for, in aggregate, over 200,000 miles of local and motorway motoring and with no hassle or major outlay for mechanical or other issues. 

I can honestly say that the Tesla miles have all been pleasurable mostly because of what is a very different driver experience. 

The automatic transmission has been a re-education from a Volvo quite some years ago now for me although the single pedal operation and the regenerative braking action of the Model 3 means that I only need to use the actual brake pedal if I momentarily lose concentration in decelerating traffic or need to take evasive or make an emergency type manoeuvre in a typical inner city scenario of wandering pedestrians, stray dogs and wobbly bike mounted Deliveroo workers. 

The noiseless acceleration and general movement of the car is wonderful. There is none of the noisy revving soundtrack and so no unwanted drama. I have never had so much fun from a standing start in any previous vehicle and in the Tesla it comes from zero to just 30mph. 

The driving position is radically different to what I have been used to. 

I am slowly getting used to the large touchscreen which performs the function of standard dials and switches. The key information is concentrated on the nearest column of the screen clearly in line of sight and any swipe and move to operate other functions is not a major distraction from watching the road ahead. 

The Model 3 bristles with cameras giving an excellent quality of image to front, rear and door pillars which helps with general road positioning and when trying not to scrape the wheel rims when parking at the kerb. 

I have written over recent weeks on the very polarised reactions to the car from other road users and members of the public in general. These have, to recap, ranged from vociferous verbal abuse from a certain age group and calibre of petrol head motorists to the knowledgeable and excited shouts of approval from the younger generation. 

I am also regularly quizzed on the logistics of charging and electricity costs by random passers by whenever I am retrieving my work gear or PPE from the very useful front boot ( a bit like the classic VW Beetle) or just getting into or out of the drivers seat. I do make time to give information on such subjects based on my own experiences as there is certainly a lost of misinformation and misunderstanding for potential electric vehicle buyers to get to grips with. 

Many of a curious nature are genuinely surprised that the Tesla is fully electric as they seem to have been convinced by the large car makers and the media that only Hybrids are available or worth having. 

There is a nervousness from those perhaps considering a change to an EV, which I can appreciate, about becoming stranded with a depleted battery charge. This "Range Anxiety" is something I still get in the Model 3 and although the network of rapid chargers in my geographical coverage for work remains thin on the ground they are well positioned if only to top up to get me back to my charging point at home. It is a happy coincidence that my regular charging stations out on the road are at Lidl Supermarkets or adjacent to a Starbucks Coffee Shop.  

The Tesla I have is the Long Range Model which gives, on full charge, over 300 miles. The screen data continuously updates on my driving efficiency and with the conscientious and, according to my passengers, rather slow driving habits that I have I have mastered in my 40 years on the road the maximum range is always achievable. There is little or no loss of range and that is in on every kind of road and in all weathers which can all affect performance. I take it as a matter of principle to try to achieve from 4 to 5 miles per Kilowatt which for the 75 kWh battery gives even more potential range. 

I am closely monitoring the charging costs on a spreadsheet to give a valid comparison against the vast volume of data from my diesel miles over the last decade and more. If charged at my home on an overnight session the total cost is £9.75 for a 280 mile range. In the Passat the same range in diesel costs was £30. 

The economics alone make sound sense to switch to full electric although there are many other issues to consider before deciding if it is the right choice for you. 

No comments: