Tuesday 14 June 2016

Senior Moment

If you meet someone for half an hour, every three years, over the last 15 years would you recall their name, face or the reason for their very regular appearance?

Such is one aspect of my workload.

On the stated time interval I am required to inspect the homes of senior persons who have used the locked up value in their properties to provide a source of income in their retirement.

This can be amongst the nicest of my professional tasks as I get to meet so me very interesting people.

Of course there is a downside and over the last two or so weeks I have received instructions for three of my triennial jobs only to be informed that the owner occupiers have died. I find myself in very familiar surroundings but with the most important human element now absent. It is a strange feeling to wander about in a property devoid of furniture , and cherished belongings although in all of my visits to those empty spaces I can still recall the conversations and friendly times with their former occupants.

I was therefore a bit anxious about seeing a particular address in my diary for today.

It was only after reading the formal instruction that I could see that the owner was still in residence.

Mrs D, as I shall refer to her for reasons of confidentiality, took a little bit longer than in previous years to open the front door to me.

Now 88 years old I had first met her back in 2003.

She was, way back then, already long since retired and enjoying gardening and baking in the pleasant surroundings of her house in a bustling market town in Yorkshire, UK.

Over the years the lawns and borders remained tended and tidy although increasingly through the endeavours of her grown up son.

I gave my usual greeting and also showed my identity details which were necessary as Mrs D's vision had deteriorated noticeably over the period from my last visit. She said that she recognised my voice and reassured of my intentions told me to just carry on and do what I had to do.

I do tend to loiter when meeting elderly persons and enjoy engaging them in small talk conversation as they are purveyors of the most interesting life stories and experiences.

Mrs D had parked her wheeled walking frame and was now sat in an upright armchair in her living room.

Enquiring how the last three years had treated her I was given an almost A-Z of medical conditions and afflictions although she was the first to admit that most were down to her advancing years. She now had one artificial knee cap and had recently returned from a long hospital stay.

Being a Yorkshire Lass born and bred Mrs D did not spare me any details of a particular operation which the Consultant had told her was only really carried out on women who had given up sex. She had told him that she had not really been asked. Her mischievous delivery of that line ironed out any wrinkles and worry lines in her face and she looked hardly out of her 60's.

Her energy and spirit I found to be most inspiring.

With reduced mobility and impeded faculties most of her time was spent in the company of audio books and radio broadcasts. Already an avid listener of the classics she had found it difficult to find new works to enjoy especially not being confident with the newer authors. The listening library had done well to keep her supplied to date but even their resources were struggling to keep up.

Her Yorkshire heritage was grounded in the countryside and her main stipulation was for books with a rural or outdoor theme. I found myself almost crying with laughter when Mrs D told me that on this brief she had most recently been sent "How to assemble a greenhouse" by Alan Titchmarsh.

I was still giggling to myself as I drove away from the house.

We had parted with a sort of provisional diary date for three years hence.

I will do my best to honour that appointment and I fully expect Mrs D to be on exceptionally good form when we meet up again in 2019.

No comments: