Monday 19 September 2016

Perks of the Job

There is a scene towards the end of the 1970 "Railway Children" film which I always get quite emotional about.

No, it is not the fact that the passenger carriages attached to the main locomotive are completely wrong for the fictional period nor that the crossing gates are a later version as another glaring anachronism. Trainspotters alert!

I am talking about the epic emergence ,on the big screen, out of the soot and steam of the previously falsely accused and incarcerated Mr Waterbury as seen by his loving and dutiful daughter, Roberta. She had been mysteriously drawn to the village station by her adolescent sensitivities which told her that something significant was going to happen.

It did.

Out of the many background sounds to be expected for the golden age of steam trains it is the cry of "Daddy, My Daddy" from Roberta that causes me to dissolve into a dribbling, emotional blob.

I cannot really explain why it does that to me every time.

I suppose that it is all tied up in the whole fatherhood thing which I have been privileged to take part in with the god given gifts of my three children.

They are all now in their twenties but the emotional depth of being their dad does not at all diminish, it just evolves in terms of what needs to be done as they get older.

There were the early years of their demands for constant attention and to be entertained.

This was followed by their unquenchable appetite for knowledge from books, audio tapes and television.

Outdoor activities were energetic and wide ranging.

A love of music was next and I hope that the introduction to the tracks and bands of my era was as much an influence on their ongoing listening as it was to me.

Dads can be a bit of an embarrassment to those in their mid to late teens and I have maintained that enviable role with very little effort.

We do come back into usefulness when it is time to do things such as driving lessons or to answer those tentative questions about savings, mortgages and other issues that will at some time be important but do not require any action for a few years.

I have treasured all of the above and more, in fact every single moment , of fatherhood to date.

I have been able to take my role for granted because I live in a stable society.

My political views, religion, upbringing and social standing have never been suppressed and I have not been persecuted or tortured.

My working hours have been those I have chosen and not those imposed on me in any regard. I did not work more than a few minutes from the family.

It is joyful to hear their excitement start of a new day and the tired happiness at it's conclusion.

I cannot recall being away from the children for longer than 24 hours at any one time.

I have been blessed in being able to provide for my family the fundamental things of a roof over their heads, food on the table, clothing and shoes for the different seasons of the year.

My home has always been intact and secure when I have returned from work and not exposed to bombing, the ravages of conflict or strife, invasion or intrusion.

I have had it really easy.

The important and defining fact is I know and fully appreciate that to be the case.

No comments: