Wednesday 14 December 2016

Dog House

It was a collaboration between three fairly unlikely parties.

In 2002 the Takara Toy Company the Japan Acoustic Lab and Kogure Veterinary Hospital, invented  "Bow-Lingual", a computer-based automatic dog-to-human language translation device.

In that year this innovation was awarded the alternative award for Peace and Harmony by the Ig-Nobel Organisation.

A light and portable device which is a small reader is attached to the pet's dog collar.



The owner then turns on the complimentary equipment in the form of a hand-held speaker.

When the dog barks the software translates the canine language into a series of Japanese messages which show up on the display, along with an easy-to-understand animation in the form of emoticons .

If you did not have any other obvious indications the system lets you know if the dog is sad,  hungry, happy, upset or in any number of moods and tempers.

The manufacturers market the device as being able to provide the following functions;
(This is the United States Language Version)

  • BARK TRANSLATION: Analyzes your dog's barks to determine which of six emotions he or she is feeling: happy, sad, frustrated, on-guard, assertive and needy. The Bow-Lingual then provides a phrase matched to the emotion, to represent what your dog might say if only he or she could speak.
  • BODY LANGUAGE: a guide to interpret your dog's behavior to help you teach and care for your dog.
  • HOME ALONE MODE: monitors and records your dogs barks and emotions for up to 8 hrs while you are away.
  • TEN TRAINING TIPS: useful training tips on subjects such as toilet training and chew-training your dog.
  • MEDICAL REFERENCE: Medical checklist to help you keep your dog healthy. The content is provided by Dr. Tamara Shearer, DVM, author of 3 books, including "Emergency First Aid for your Dog and "The Essential Book for Dogs Over Five."
  • SET-UP: calibrates Bow-Lingual to the breed of your dog. Over 80 of the most common breeds (see photo to the left) are pre-programmed, and other breeds including mixed breeds can be registered by size of dog and shape of snoutThat was until I read the following customer review.

  • Having been part of a household with dogs I found the idea of improved empathy and communication fascinating. That was until I read a heart wrenching customer review from someone who had purchased and used the device;

    I recently purchased the Takara Bow Lingual Dog Bark Translator, and, I must say, I was shocked and saddened to learn just how much my dog hates me. 

    Every time he barks he is saying something that mocks me! 

    He makes fun of my weight, the way I dress, even the way I cook. 

    He has such foul language too! I did not know a dog could cuss like that! 

    Even the bullies that taunted me on the playground at school, and, now, the ones that taunt me by the water-cooler in the office are not as cruel and inhuman as my dog. 

    This product makes me sad as I discovered things about my dog and his feelings for me that I would rather not have known. 

    It ruined my life. :(

    Perhaps, and even in the face of technological advances some things should just stay as they are. The inter-relationship of man and hound may not be perfect but there is a sort of natural balance and order which seems to suit both participants

    3 comments:

    Canaan Pet Resort said...

    Hi! Thank you for the share this information. This is very useful information for online blog review readers. Keep it up such a nice posting like this.
    Hotel for Dogs | Dog Grooming | Pet Training | Pet Boarding Services

    Priya said...

    Great work done by author of this blog. I never seen such a beautiful and informative blog. Also the looks of the blog is awesome.
    Web Designing and Development Services at Affordable Price | Magento Website Development Services | Ecommerce Website Design and Development Services

    gbwhatsapp apk said...

    Hello do you have a colour code for that beautiful rose 123movies