Saturday 10 December 2016

Inheritance

This is one of a few treasured pictures from my life in cycling. It was taken at the roadside by a local photographer during the 10 mile time trial event of the club that I belonged to from 1982 to 1986, the now disbanded Trent Valley Cycle Racing Team based in Nottingham. (There is a club of similar name now very active in the Gainsborough, England area). I think it was in fact a qualifying event towards the club championship that I won in 1985. It remains the only thing that I won outright in quite a few decades now of competition and recreational cycling. I am not concerned about that fact. It is much more important to me that I was able to participate in such a great sport.


The image portrayed may seem, to anyone currently enjoying cycling, as very old fashioned, well it was over 30 years ago and bike technology, equipment and clothing has progressed significantly in that time.

The bike, a bright red, custom measured and built Langdale Lightweight in 531 tubing represented one of the best that money could buy, I could only afford it through the generous bequest of my Grandfather, Dick. Perhaps I should have invested the sum towards a car, a house, a pension but I hope that he was pleased with my decision. He will certainly have appreciated the workmanship and skill of the bike-builder, Brian Green from Mapperley in Nottingham.

The components were from the Campagnolo range with a finely crafted chainset and cranks, brake sets, down tube gear changers, front and rear mechanisms.

You may notice that, although I was speeding along at towards 30 mph on the A6097 trunk road course when the picture was taken my left hand was just beginning to squeeze the front brake lever. That photographer! He just popped up from a prone position and startled me. Still, that burst of adrenalin from fear of what looked like an imminent verge-side attack must have given me that few seconds advantage that earned me the club trophy that day.

Other components, only today seen on vintage and veteran bikes, included the very visible brake cables, nowadays run into the frame itself, toe clips and straps now surpassed by the use of fixed sole cleats, the all leather racing shoes which if wet became heavy and mushy, fancy track mitts and the tubular tyres, even in the 1980's about £15 each. They were a nightmare if truth be told having to be glued on the rims. If punctured that was the end of the ride and they were almost impossible to attempt to mend.

My skin suit was made to measure by a lady from Nottingham who just did that in her spare time. It was a nicely made garment in lycra but nothing like the high tech versions produced today. There was no scope to put on lettering or logos. External sponsorship of local clubs was largely unheard of at that time. I was however quite progressive, witness for example the Casio digital watch which my now grown up children tell me is a real retro favourite and worth a few quid.

As for my hairstyle or lack of it,  the less said the better.

It is a snapshot in time and I am very grateful for it as a reminder of the great adventures that I have had in all aspects of cycling.

The bike? Yes, I still use it as my main road-machine.

I have of course upgraded some of the components but it is still the same quality racer at heart.

I think that my Grandfather will have been happy for all of the years of enjoyment that it has given me.

No comments: