Saturday 28 January 2017

Shades of Grey

It was an accident. A sad coming together of my car and a grey squirrel.

Although 6 years have elapsed since it happened I still think of the sight but perhaps more the sickening sound of Pirelli's and Scirius Carolinensis coming together on that slip road.

He, and I make a big assumption on the gender although it is more likely to have been a foraging male than female, should not, in my opinion have been in that location at all. There was no natural cover, it was a bleak and desolate bit of no-mans land that you get on major road junctions and with not much by way of sources of food, unless modern squirrels have developed a taste for the contents of discarded McDonalds wrappers and the litter from lunch-on-the-go drivers that frequent the verges and shrubbery of such places.

Back then we lived in a suburb of the city and although the streets were tree lined and the well tended private  gardens afforded plenty of opportunities for a fulfilling squirrel existence we very rarely saw them. It may have been because of the level of human activity, tight fitting wheelie bin lids and the presence of their natural predators that kept them incognito. Alternatively they could just go somewhere else where they could exist quite happily.

Following a house move some three years ago we now reside in a town house overlooking an inner city park. It was laid out in the 1860's following a philanthropic gesture by a wealthy businessman and two-time Mayor. It is in a grand style with a circulatory road flanked by Victorian Villas, curiously shaped ornamental pond, children's play area, refreshment kiosk, statues honouring Queen Victoria and her Consort, Albert and shortly to have a Bandstand recreated under Hull's 2017 UK City of Culture Status.

Although the park is well patronised in daylight hours it reverts after dark to a sort of enchanted realm into which many are feared to tread. The mature trees, mainly Horse Chestnuts arranged in broad avenues across the main greenspace of the park are an ideal habitat for a large squirrel population.

A typically nice fluffy squirrel

I am fortunate that I have a desk in a ground floor window with a direct view out into the trees.

The two upper floors of the house ascend higher into the tree canopies giving a very Attenborough-esque view of all things Squirrel. It is a wonder to behold.

They are a busy lot, very rarely giving the impression of lounging about or skiving.

There is regular activity along the tops of lock up garages and fences just out of the reach of local foxes and cats. The footpath alongside the park road weaves in and out of the foliage cover and turning a slight corner can bring you up close and personal to an temporarily distracted squirrel.

I have on a few occasions, in this way, experienced a face to face encounter resulting in a stand off between man and squirrel. One was quite aggressive towards me and screeched incessantly as though I had transgressed a fundamental right. Mischievoulsy,  I mimicked the same sound in return and for a few moments we were like banshees or spoilt, quarrelsome children. We goaded each other to be the first to leave. I gave in first as I felt the situation to be a bit menacing.

Squirrel with attitude


One-nil to the Squirrels.

In the winter months when the tree crowns are skeletal and stark I can clearly see the passage of squirrels albeit in fleeting silhouette amongst the boughs. Theirs is a seemingly reckless but ultimately skillful leaping route in the upper branches that can swiftly take them from one side of the park to the other.

As I write, just now, a svelte grey has bounded along the low wall only three metres or so from my window before disappearing into the foliage of next doors garden.

There are of course some areas of confrontation. A squirrel nesting in a domestic roof space can wreak havoc being particularly disposed to chewing through electrical wiring and thermal insulation. If I am awake in the early hours, coinciding with the Enchantment  period in the park, I listen out for any audible signs that my loft has become a prime location for a squirrel family home.

I feel privileged to now live amongst the grey squirrels. They are a constant source of entertainment and an opportunity to witness a wonder of nature on a daily basis.

My accidental despatch of one of their brethren to roadkill is I hope now forgotten although with the sudden thought that the squirrels may be keeping a eye on me, I somehow I doubt if I will ever be forgiven.

Ever get that strange feeling of being watched?

No comments: