Wednesday 31 May 2017

Sole Mate

I apologise to those concerned about the recent lack of bulletins about my recuperation after falling into that hole. 

I have actually been far too busy to wallow in self pity and to trade in medical terminology having become fully engaged in a busy day to day routine that, to be honest, gives me little opportunity for waxing lyrical about such things. 

I continue to start my day early at 6am although with the summer mornings and being unable to sleep anyway I make my way to my day room by 5am. 

My days have been more than filled with paperwork forwarded from my office. This involves paper base files being exchanged in a Sainsbury carrier bag in an almost clandestine operation with my wife acting as go-between in addition to e mail correspondence. 

My resolve not to watch any daytime TV before Pointless at 5pm remains sound and true although I do admit to browsing Netflix for anything of interest. It is a most disappointing form of media with not much of appeal to me amongst the huge catalogue of programmes. 

I read books with a vengeance and have finished off works of fiction- including Irving and Childers as well as non fiction from Heligoland to Herodotus. This renewed passion has opened up many different lines of enquiry and interest which can be more than satisfied by internet search engines and radio podcasts. 

I find it hard to believe that it is, today, 8 weeks since the earth opened up and ruptured my quad tendon as the time has flown by. That is of course my perspective and my family will have their own.

Yesterday, being my 6 weeks post operative Fracture Clinic appointment , saw the first material change in my leg brace and mobility. 

I can report that I have 30 degrees of permitted, regulated movement in my right leg and my foot is now allowed to touch the ground and bear weight. This major development has made me a bit reckless and ambitious although the sensation of the tender sole on any sort of surface is quite unsettling and I err on the side of caution which has been my overriding policy to date to keep recovery time to as normal as possible. 

The Flexion brace is still on for another 6 weeks but I have been trusted in 14 days time to adjust the dial on the side from what is an imperceptible 30 to a more visible, steady on there, 60 degrees. 

That will not be enough to sit in a car or comfortably on a chair, play the piano, pump up a lilo, go to a concert, perch on a stool in the coffee shop, climb onto a bus, mount stairs, balance sufficiently to shave off my beard ,kick a football or walk easily for any distance but I am not too bothered as it is still good progress. 

No comments: