Wednesday 3 May 2017

Sympathy Vote for Long John Silver

It is now a month since I fell down that hole and injured my leg.

At the time I knew it was serious mainly from the rather blood chilling sound of usually quietly functional tendon over stretching and snapping. Don't worry that I may still lying prone and undiscovered in the same place and that my words form part of a daily diary until I am rescued or just perish.

Fortunately for me the accident happened at an occupied property and the owners were very concerned and attentive until the arrival of the ambulance.

In the last 30 days I have been through the full range of emotions but with the support and encouragement of my family, friends and work colleagues I can honestly say that the time has passed pretty quickly.

As I keep reminding everyone I did not fall on my head and so am able to function perfectly well where thought rather than physical activity is concerned.

The sensation of, well I can only describe it as sadness at realising my own mortality upon being presented with a Zimmer frame by the hospital physiotherapist has largely disappeared with its daily use in covering what has been the extent of my accessible territory within the four walls of the house.
It is very helpful bit of mobility equipment.

Yesterday was my two week post operative appointment which I hoped would give me my first thirty degrees of leg bend from the rigid brace that has been strapped on since the accident.

The big reveal with removal of the dressing was quite dramatic with a scar about 12cm long neatly sewn up.

The consultant was pleased with the healing process but refastening the brace said that it must stay in the fixed and locked position for another four weeks before any limited movement could be considered.

The whole appointment took only a few minutes although I had prepared myself for a much lengthier time in the depths of the fracture clinic.

My convalescent days continue to pass quickly assisted by a self imposed routine of paperwork in the mornings of which there is plenty conveyed to and from my office in a series of bright orange Sainsbury's carrier bags followed by a more leisurely afternoon of reading, listening to spoken word podcasts and occasionally dipping into the world of Netflix.

I remain resolute in my avoidance of daytime television which I am sure would drive me completely mad within a very short period.

Although requiring team work and tiring physical effort I am now confident enough to tackle the stairs but would not win any prizes for style. In descending on my bottom I have regressed to my toddler days but going back upstairs is a real strongman exertion. My discharge from hospital was dependant on demonstrating to the Physio that I could manage stairs using a crutch, handrail and a hopping motion. I excelled at it in the almost industrial setting of the 12th floor stairwell in the hospital but as soon as I got home I realised that I had not really taken on board the theory or practice.

This led to some awkward and rather lurching movements but I have shown good improvement out of necessity.

The next four weeks will I am sure pass equally rapidly helped by a positive mental attitude (again I did not fall on my head), the sympathy and understanding from my family, a constant stream of visitors and well wishers, good internet connectivity and a seemingly inexhaustible back catalogue of interesting,informative and amusing podcasts.

No comments: