Monday 12 February 2018

Colonel Sanders knows best


We do things subconsciously, in particular, movements, traits and actions that may be seen by others around us as being our own personal characteristics but these can as easily be either cute or downright irritating and annoying. 

Everyone who knows me or has just been in my company for a short time will be well aware of my charming flaw of humming. 

The use of "flaw" and "charming" are my own as in certain enclosed spaces I understand that my low resonance output can be excruciatingly painful on sensitive ears. 

I do it automatically if I find myself in a slack moment. 

My self generated soundtrack, whether it is actually a rendition of a well known ballad, classical refrain, pop song or the theme from a movie is something that I find both calming and motivational.

Most recently I have been working on alternate tunes of Axis and Allied Forces from the 1970’s film, “The Battle of Britain. The former is a big lot of military pomp and show whilst the latter is inspiring and iconic. 

On other occasions I can be reminded of another time and place and the tunes just spring to mind. 

At face value my humming is not really all that bad as a perceived fault or an example of obsessive behaviour. 

In support of my case I draw attention to the following study that appeared in the well regarded American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

It was published in 2004 as a record of the detailed clinical investigation by Laban, Singh, Moll and Zervos all resident at William Beaumont Hospital, Michigan, USA. 

The short version goes as follows; 

A survey was performed to determine the frequency of unrecognised repetitive licking of fingers while reviewing hospital charts by various healthcare professionals who, by this habit, may be putting themselves at risk of acquiring a nosocomial infection. 

a) Nine of 14 charts demonstrated the presence of Staphylococci aureus

b) Cultures obtained from three of nine charts grew methicillin-resistant S. aureus, and 

c) six grew methicillin-susceptible S. aureus

Of the 50 healthcare professionals surveyed, five (10%) admitted to habitual repetitive licking of fingers while reviewing charts. 

In addition, 30 (60%) of those surveyed had observed other professionals doing so. 

Forty-seven (94%) acknowledged that they did not routinely wash their hands after reviewing the charts, potentially placing themselves at risk of acquiring a nosocomial infection. 

As an immediate consequence of this study, staff members have been encouraged to wash their hands before and after reviewing a patient’s chart. 

In retrospect I bet you wish that I was around to hum something reassuring and soothing.

(source; Improbable Research)

No comments: