Sunday 22 April 2018

Look Mum, No hands!

I admit that I have managed to eke out quite a few writing pieces on the subject of my falling down a hole. That was just over a year ago, 5th April 2017.

It was a freakish accident at the time but resulted in my taking some four months off work to recover from the snapped quad tendon (it really did make a snap sound when it went) and the operation to reattach it.

For the squeamish amongst you it was, truthfully, not that painful and with the support of loved ones, friends, work colleagues and the relevant services provided by the NHS I was able to treat my enforced rest and recuperation as a break from a 30 year entrenched work routine.

It was difficult at times, more out of the suspension of being free and able to do normal things and the initial 12 weeks or so of non-weight bearing saw me confined to the top floor of our three storey house for the duration.

On the plus side I grew a full beard which is something that a man must do at least once in his life, if only to come to the realisation that beards are overrated.

I took the long absence from work to read some of the books that other people and popular consensus say that you should read to further your own self awareness and of course wrote a lot through the medium of this blog.

The lay-up was over the spring and early to mid summer months and I found a wonderful; work space in my garage with the up and over door in the up and over position. A garage with a south facing aspect is tremendous although I have not actually seen that written down in any property sales particulars as an attribute. You must believe me when I say that it definitely is.

From this vantage point I could keep up with the comings and goings of my neighbours, watch the family of ducks on their regular passing to the nearby Park lake through the backway of the housing terrace and be useful in taking in parcels and deliveries for the neighbourhood.

A few friends and colleagues would pop by with a takeaway coffee and a muffin for a few moments respite from their own day and my office traded in Sainsbury's carrier bags bringing bits of paperwork for me to do and return within a couple of days.

It was a good summer and that very reasonable monthly subscription to the Eurosport channel  provided many, many hours live coverage of, up to the time of the hole incident, my favourite participation sport of cycling.

My rehabilitation has been largely driven by the motivation to get back on my bike.

The ultimate irony is that on the day before my accident I had taken delivery of my first new road bike in 32 years. It still stands pedal-less in a corner of the garage but at least it is now fully paid for on a 12 monthl plan purchase scheme.

I have wheeled it out into the daylight regularly and kept the tyres up to pressure in readiness for its first use.

That time is getting very close now.

After weekly physiotherapy for the last 8 months I can actually cock my leg over and stand astride the crossbar as though on a hobby horse. The static trainer bike that my son uses for winter pedalling sessions has enabled my reintroduction to circular leg motion and in recent weeks I have been able to sustain up to an hour of fast rotation. It could have been so much more but indoor cycling is so boring. I have nearly dozed off in the latter stages of a short burst of activity.

Today was an important milestone in my recovery in that I felt brave and fit enough to try full outdoor riding in the form of a few laps around the local public park.

I can report with joy but also a lot of relief that I managed three circuits which, by my reckoning, brings my mileage total in the last year and a bit to a massive two and a half.

I am really happy with that for starters.

No comments: