Monday 2 April 2018

Running Man


It is a fact of modern life that we have to have a routine. By that I mean most of us who have to earn a wage to meet or at best just exceed our regular financial commitments. 

A few have been able to break out of a regimented existence through good fortune, in a determination for self sufficiency or unfortunately on medical advice for the sake of their own mental and physical well being. 

Don’t get me wrong I am one of the lucky few because I  enjoy my livelihood and although pressures, stresses and strains have noticeably increased over the years in my industry sector I have a feeling of anticipation at the start of my working day, well most of them. 

On analysis my routine can be condensed into groupings of four words. 

First up is rise, wash, dress, breakfast followed by commute, diary, emails, letters and then with the bulk of my time as drive, inspect, write, process

As the day progresses I can think about more pleasurable activities such as coffee, lunch, home, meal and then winding down with family, relax, TV, bedtime. 

In recent weeks however I have felt compelled to introduce a new quartet into my routine. 

This started with hearing a long forgotten song on the radio and following it up with a re-acquaintance through You Tube with the music video that accompanied the track upon its release in the distant past, well, specifically 1990. 

I will give a few clues as to the specific smash hit record. 

Here goes. 

The four words that are I have been obsessed with are Up, down, bounce, drop. 

If you recite those over and over again there is a definite mantra, rhythm and flow. 

Add to that a wide upright stance, knees slightly bent and follow that with a squat and shuffle. 

The absolute giveaway is that the movement and physical exertions involved would be assisted by an attitude and loose fitting clothing . 

In the trouser department try for an elasticated waist, ballooning lower midriff and low crotch tapering down to a tight ankle fitting. The upper torso should have a similarly comfortable fit and a bit of pendulum swinging bling would not be at all out of place. 

You should now be humming or reciting word for word the streetwise lyrics of M.C Hammer and “U can’t touch this”. 

It is a mega song from the spangly era of Hip Hop and performed by, in the opinion of many, its prime mover and exponent. 

The official video is mesmerising in its sheer velocity and controlled delivery. 

I have found myself drawn to the small screen images determined to do the Hammer Dance only to be left wallowing well behind the fast paced gyrating motions of the dancers arranged on fire escapes, the bleachers and in the studio. 

The energy is infectious carried along by superb choreography with the Main Man carrying the whole show with ultimate style and cool. 

At the first call of “break it down” at around 1 min 55 seconds into the video the explosion of dance steps is unbelievable and I can only stare at the five chorus line backing dancers who act as the perfect contrast to M.C Hammer in his baggies. 

As a piece of pop culture the song and that video are absolute classics and this appears to be supported by, as at this time of writing a view count approaching 400 million. 

Make time in your busy schedule and try it out for yourself, remember, “Up, down, bounce, drop” although it might be best to practice it a bit before being seen in public. 


Here's that video.

U Can't Touch This

No comments: