Sunday 10 February 2019

Silly Season

I have a new favourite joke.

This prestigious award which also covers funny events and hilarious behaviour does not really mean a lot because I find a lot of things funny on a daily basis and the current holder of this accolade could as easily be knocked off top spot in a matter of minutes.

Just today there has been a strong contender.

Take the sporting news that a competitive football match in Scotland has had to be abandoned during play because of the weather. Such has been the strength of the wind that a goalkeeper taking a kick out of his penalty box saw the ball go out, up and then shoot back behind him, over the dead ball line and out for a corner for the opposition.

That must have been incredulous to see.

Other sources of humour can be at the expense of others either through a combination of freakish events or just downright stupidity.

I do not really enjoy having to stifle a laugh in such circumstances.

Anyway, back to my new favourite joke.

I did hear it first a couple of years ago and it justified a giggle but not enough to oust "What is the secret of good comedy. timing" which as all my family and friends know is my regular fallback favourite and suitable for all occasions on the grounds that it is not rude, aggressive, controversial or sexist.

The pretender to the throne of jokes is similarly neutral although it does touch on aspects of education, teenage delinquency, the threat of violence and with a social comment on peer pressure.

No, not really.

I may be reading too much into what is just a joke, nothing more, nothing less.

Here it is. I accept that I may have inadvertently heightened your expectations but just go with it.

What did the inflatable Headmaster say to the inflatable boy who took a pen to the inflatable school?

"You've let me down, you've let the school down but worst of all you've let yourself down"

Silly but really, really funny.



No comments: