Sunday 12 January 2020

Freedom for Tooting

I have campaigned for few things in my 6 decades on the planet. Save the Whales, Support for those Forced to Flee, Reflective collars for cows on common land, Against the Bedroom Tax and most recently for the Environment.

For this latest of associations I am now considered to be a terrorist. So what did I do?

In its entirety I just rode my bike, very slowly around the City Ring Road, with others on a saturday afternoon this last summer past.

That in itself was not necessarily something threatening or radical. The whole thing was very well organised, supervised and after a detailed briefing of how we should act we were, even more than usual as good citizens, mindful of the need to let emergency vehicles get past if so required.

Above all the emphasis was on maintaining or gaining the support of the wider general public as they went about their usual weekend activities in the shops and a whole raft of activities to be found in a bustling Northern regional city.

My potential inclusion on a list amongst those with particular doctrinal or brain-washed beliefs may, on reflection be on account of my regular blowing, whilst riding my bike, of a Vu-Vu-Zela.

Yes, I can see that many might regard that as being a bit subversive and menacing. I did get a bit fed up of using it but then again those on two wheels around me were relying on it to support the protest mantras relevant to our cause.

I am of course referring to an event organised by Extinction Rebellion, the climate change activists.

The issues are of concern to me and millions of others globally. I have made a point of getting informed about the truth of climate change by attending lectures and presentations by those who know what they are talking about.

Furthermore the ER members are dedicated to the cause and not on the payroll of Lobbyists, affiliated concerns or with any specific political influences other than a sense of truth, justice and fairness for all where the environment is concerned.

Our family are by no means eco-angels. We try hard but still generate copious amounts of waste. Granted this is directed towards appropriate recycling and re-use as best as we can manage. It may not yet be enough but we are doing our utmost to minimise the impact on our hard pressed and abused planet.

As a major step we have replaced a polluting diesel car with an all electric vehicle but I still rely on a fossil fuelled motor car for my business use which can be up to 200 miles daily during normal working hours.

There is a determination in our household to cut down on our consumption of meat, single use plastics and in general reduce our carbon footprint. This is more difficult than it should be and mainly because of a lack of infrastructure even in our privileged 21st Century and G7 status nation.

A particular obstacle is our own fear and anxiety. There is so much in the media to confuse, contradict and mislead which only serves to accentuate these feelings.

Again, it is up to us and us alone to make our own investigations.

Since becoming classified as a terrorist  I admit that I have kept a low profile.

I check to see if there are any unmarked vehicles hanging around my house or upon lifting up the home phone handset I try to detect any clicks or whirrs which could indicate that someone is listening in. I have taken to checking the brakes on my bike for any signs of tampering and leave a small tell-tale on the wheely bin lids which would alert me to any persons going through my rubbish, however well and correctly it is allocated to the respective container.

Of course I am very much a casual and part timer in the scheme of what Extinction Rebellion are trying to achieve but I will pledge my support to those who place their lives and livelihoods on the front line. When that front line is our own doorstep then it doesn't really need much thought. 

No comments: