Wednesday 1 January 2020

Padded Sell

An unusual and, frankly, unexpected side effect of my being overweight is the regular shedding of feathers.

I am familiar with the usual trademarks of obesity such as shortness of breathe, perspiration and that annoying fact that tying up shoe laces can be a bit problematic.

I can live with these things and of course it is entirely down to my self esteem and willpower to do something about being a bit chubby and out of condition. I have not finalised my New Years Resolutions yet, after all it is only January 1st but amongst the front runners are improving fitness through swimming and fast walking, a determination to get out and about on my bike, abstaining from chocolate and adopting an all together healthier diet and lifestyle.

The sight of a wispy, downy feather cascading down on the prevailing airstream around me or in my wake is more of a challenge.

It is not that I am carrying the symbols of cowardice nor sporting wings. I have not been tarred and feathered for anything I may or may not have done. I am the first to put out peanuts and suet bonded goodies for the wild birds in my locality and so I do not have the spectre of dead bods on my conscience.

The phenomena of the wake of fine feathers started on Christmas Eve.

It had come from the gift, from my wife, of a new cold weather jacket.

The regular sight of me in a scruffy old ski jacket, a double fronted and rather dated car-coat or a politically incorrect leather jacket has caused distress and consternation to my wife for some time now. The purchase of a winter outer garment has been foremost in my mind as those aforementioned items of clothing, whilst chunky and functional do have limitations dependent upon the severity of the prevailing weather. There is plenty of choice, either brand new or on the racks in the local Charity Shops but I have been unable to be pinned down on the right one.

My wife's pre-empting of my dithering has been very welcome and the North Face branded padded item, a suppose what can be called a Puffa Jacket is exactly what I would have bought myself. Yes it is.

Two-tone in colour being mostly a golden brown with black shoulder yoke it is exceptionally cosy as well as stylish. The thermal inducing characteristic is from the real down fill which is indicated on labelling as meeting International Regulations for sourcing and sterilising. 

I have promised to keep it in nice condition and so will refrain from wearing it to the Civic Amenity Site, when cleaning the car or doing any chores which are usually grubby and dirty.

What I have noticed is the slow emergence through the outer fabric of individual feathers.

At first I was inclined to pull them out but in some instances this has resulted in a stream of down, a bit like a magician pulling a string of handkerchiefs out of a sleeve or top pocket. Quickly realising that this could deplete the padded nature of the coat has caused me to try to retract the extruded down by tugging back from inside the coat. This seems to do the trick. 

The coat is a superb fit,being XL size, and even over a shirt and Christmas Themed jumper but the main reason for the shedding of feathers is however down to my being currently overweight. Any sustained movement whilst wearing the coat obviously creates some sort of flux and pressure on the contents.

Such movement is unavoidable in my busy everyday life and so one of my New Year Resolutions is clear.

If I lose weight I can be assured of a prolonged life expectancy, that is for the wonderful jacket although of course any benefits for my own health would be very welcome.

No comments: