Friday 8 May 2020

Any colour as long as it's Pink

I'm in the market, as is the phrase, for a new motor. 

This takes place every three years as the lease agreement on my current car approaches its end. In the past when this decision making time falls due I have not found it difficult. My criteria has tended to be the same- an estate car, a diesel, reasonable fuel economy, good connectivity and a digital radio. So, if you had looked on my driveway in the last 9 years you will have seen the exact same make and model, give or take a few specification tweaks, a VW Passat. 

Of course that period of ownership coincided with the Emissions Scandal of that global manufacturer which saw me spending time at the local Dealership for the transmission fix. I didn't notice anything different in the driving experience. 

However, of more importance to my increasing awareness to the environment was the contribution in pollutants I was making every day on every journey from an internal combustion engine. With this in mind the family vehicle, rather than my predominantly company business car, was changed from a diesel to a full electric. This was a small step in the right direction. 

So, with the changeover looming, within 5 weeks, I have been doing some tentative window shopping for a new car. 

The influencers are all over it like a fuel stain on a public street. Daily TV schedules throw up some glossy mini movie features on the latest models and variants of the big manufacturers. There is a definite play on the environmental benefits of individual vehicles reinforced by images of wind turbines, clear blue skies, a smug and contented nuclear sized family unit and an aspirational soundtrack. 

I must say that some of the adverts are quite compelling through the targeting of key senses, emotions and guilt. 

For all of the miles I cover annually, a minimum of 25,000 on UK roads I am as far as could be described as a Petrol Head as you can get. I just like to get around to complete my work as easily as possible without the drama of excess speed or engine related noise. A good driving experience for me is achieving 60 miles per gallon fuel economy. 

Putting the persuasive powers of TV to the side I have also had a look at the sales rankings for the most popular cars currently. Amongst the usual offerings from Ford, Volvo, Nissan, Toyota, Peugeot, BMW, Jaguar and other high volume producers I noticed a stand-out figure for one car, so far 85000 sales this year which not only outstrips each of the aforementioned brands but in fact exceeds the aggregated output of all of them. 

Such demand must be an indication of one of those once in a generation motor cars meeting the collective criteria of the populus, like the Beetle, Mini and 2CV.

I did my own bit of research on this phenomena to see if it could meet my own requirements. Surprisingly the car has been around since 1979 in the USA.

Starting with the basics- yes, it has four wheels, no only joking, yes, it has 4 wheels. 

I have always gone for an estate car to serve the dual purpose of a workhorse and family friendly carrier. It has been amazing how much stuff and rubbish I have been able to cram into the faithful Passat. In contrast the best seller only has a two door version and is a coupe in style. Perhaps I could cope with that more sporty set-up. It could be a good look for me in my menopausal years. 

It meets the cup-holder criteria, in fact exceeding the norm with a two bottle capacity. Standard equipment appears good with a click ignition, horn, petrol filler cap and universal driving position, as in neither right hand nor left hand drive. 

The raking angle of the roof does restrict boot space and could be a problem for my work ladders and general tool box. 

In terms of build quality and durability there is an emphasis by the maker on ruggedness. I like the idea of a removeable floorboard for swilling out any spillages in the interior although the design feature of swivelling front wheels, a bit like a supermarket trolley may be a bit too revolutionary for me. It must have some practical use in manouevring in small spaces. 

The best fit is to my environmental demands in a new car. Propulsion is not fossil fuel and indeed would appear to present a minimal carbon footprint above that normally expended by the everyday activities of a human. As far as I can make out the car is made to move by the walking action of the occupant through a large hole in the floor. I had to do a bit of a double take at this curious means of motion. 

The dimensions of the vehicle are also to be considered. Yes, it would fit it my garage easily and at 71 cm long, 42cm wide and 84 cm high it would actually be more at home under the kitchen table. A particularly unique feature of the model is a handle hole in the roof to help with operation and control. 

For all of these amazing attributes in just one vehicle I have yet to make my final choice of new car. 

I must say the best-seller is tempting for its minimal environmental impact when in use, compactness and styling which comes in a rainbow of colours but I will have to definitely arrange for a test drive before I fine tune the list. That in itself could be interesting. 

Here's the brochure for you to look over 

No comments: