Saturday 3 October 2015

Emission Impossible

I have just done a round trip of 450 miles in my Volkswagen Diesel.

Yes, it is one of the models currently under investigation following the shocking revelations (purely in the realms of mechanical things that feature in our life) of the software manipulation of emission readings.

In the scheme of things it has been made into a big deal but probably carries less concern amongst the general population of the UK than the use of horse meat in pre-prepared lasagne and other ready meals, salmonella bacteria in fresh eggs, identity theft and the perpetration of on line fraud and trickery.

Some who participated in that beauty parade of models and makes when considering their new car may feel aggrieved at, having selected a VW diesel for its environmental credentials, the treacherous behaviour of unknown persons in the engine management department in Wolfsburg, Germany.

I am on my second consecutive Passat Estate having been more than pleased and impressed after what I thought was a lifetime loyalty to Volvo who kept me safe and mobile for the previous 15 years and covering a distance of around half a million miles.

My reasons for a switch were materialistic in some respects but also dictated by irrational emotions.

My late Father was a great fan of Volkswagen.

My earliest memories revolved around a classic Camper Van which was the principal mode of transport for my family in the late 1960's. I have a strong recollection of being on the bench seating in the van in a traffic jam alongside an airfield with much aerial activity and explosions. I later found out that this was a film location for the Battle of Britain Movie. I also remember seeing a group of flower power hippies at the same place, very much evocative of the era.

These things make quite an impression on a young mind.

The VW badge was still quite a rare sight on the UK roads at that time with the dominance of British Car Makes and an underlying feeling that buying German was somehow wholly unpatriotic.

My Father was far too rational and wise not to be drawn into such nationalistic matters and when the iconic camper van was traded in it was replaced with a brand new (1971) Variant Estate which my youngest brother continues to run.

This was followed over the next forty years by a larger 412LE Estate, two Scirocco coupes and two Polo's, one still being my Mother's daily transport. They were good looking and dependable vehicles, quite spartan in terms of the interior and not without susceptibility to rusting away on the wings and door cills. In retrospect these attributes were common to most cars on the market and down to basic manufacturing material and techniques before technology kicked in big style.

My Father was clever with engines and running gear and was quite in his element when carrying out repairs and renewals in the garage at home.

VW's were, in the spirit of their Founder and as the name translates to- a Peoples Car.

This to me represents ease of ownership and use, function and form, ethics and social responsibility.

Successive generations of my family, like millions of others, placed unquestioning trust in the company. The brand loyalty that this engendered was at a level largely unheard of in the consumer led markets of a global economy.

So, when setting off this morning on my epic round trip from Hull to Hackney, North East London I felt like I was taking a leap of faith in my VW. The decision makers in the Board Room may be in disgrace, the faithful employees betrayed and the share price rocking but my motor car got me there and back in one piece, comfortably. in good style and fairly economically .

Lets face it, if it transpires that all car makers are cheating and pillaging the environment and the diesel particulates in their unrestrained dirty form are clogging our lungs and contributing to extremes in climate events then I will just stick with what I know best.

No comments: