Sunday 26 November 2017

X-Ray specs

Superpowers. 

No, not the old Imperialist/Cold War type but those belonging to Superheroes. 

I can see the benefits of possessing one or more in making my everyday life, and in particular my job so much easier. 

I inspect all manner of buildings and structures for a living. After 30 years of fine tuning a survey routine mainly consisting of standing and staring at a particular surface, be it a roof, wall, floor, ceiling or any other element I have a minds-eye view of what should be there by way of materials and methods of construction, in some way a sort of intuitive X-Ray vision but in reality I have to make a reasoned judgement and analysis of what could be hidden from what I can see on the surface. 

Take a roof. Anything original covering to the building under my scrutiny may appear reasonable from the outside as in there being no slipped, displaced or missing tiles or slates but I can expect to find, from further investigation of any void or loft space any number of defects and deficiencies from rotten, infested or damaged supporting timbers and sometimes an unexpected  clear view of the sky when looking upwards. 

In most cases where a roof is concerned I have the luxury of these two points of inspection. 

Walls can be similar although only really where it is of the old solid wall format which was after all the most common form of house wall construction well into the 20th Century until the cavity wall took precedent. This is where there is an outer wall, air gap with metal ties across at regular intervals and an inner leaf which forms the inside wall surface under any plaster or other finish. 

There is no real correlation therefore between the two skins of masonry and so any findings on the external brickwork such as cracking, damp, sagging or distortion usually have no collateral or tell tale features on the inner wall. 

In this scenario some form of actual X-Ray capability would be highly beneficial. 

A couple of years ago a constant stream of questions and queries from those commissioning me to inspect and report on a cavity wall era property which they were considering for purchase led me to take an important decision. 

No, not to try to develop the X Ray Superpower in pursuit of which I would anyway have no idea where to start, what with the Planet Kryton having been destroyed, but to buy myself a boroscopic camera. 

These have come down in price a lot in recent times from thousands to hundreds and now tens of pounds as well as improving considerably in size, weight and portability. 

Early models tended to be reconditioned medical endoscopes which I would find a bit creepy. I can well imagine jibes about users having a nice day at the orifice and so on. 

My particular target purchase was from a reputable Survey equipment shop and noticing that it had been further reduced in price made up my mind for me. The specification ticked all the boxes as in hand held, lightweight, LED backlight to a one metre long flexible wand, small view screen and a recording and download function. 

In reality the item was bright red, very plasticky, clunky to use, big type print on the screen and a very fuzzy image display. Even the carry case looked like one that a child would get with a secret agent toy set, yet more plastic but this time in a stippled finish. 

You must know that feeling of initial disappointment when first seeing something that in your imagination has been built up as being the greatest gadget ever made but the thing falls well short of expectations. 

I was a bit reluctant to even take it out of the case and use it in front of homeowners in case they giggled or called their children to have a look at the joke object. 

My fears and trepidations were quickly dispelled as the boroscope more than paid back its price just in the reaction of clients who were aghast about how I could comment on otherwise concealed and unforeseen issues in a cavity wall. 

Common questions could be answered decisively as in, does the cavity have any insulation?, how wide is the cavity?, are there any wall tie problems? Or simply- is there a cavity there at all? 

One house seller swore at oath level that he had paid for the wall cavity to be insulated and yet I found nothing but air in that gap. Another homeowner was able to claim financial assistance for other insulation measures when what was thought to be a cavity wall was not. 

I found my X Ray type services in great demand and the boroscope got a good deal of use. 

Unfortunately, the rather flimsy manufacture could not cope with the rigours of being thrust into small holes in walls or dragged around up and down inspection ladders and the inevitable failure occurred. 

It had been a valuable survey tool but the word seemed to be out that my see-through super powers had left me and the drop off in requests did not encourage me to replace it. 

I am now however having second thoughts as technology has moved on at a pace. 

The lastest versions are run from a smartphone with just a plug in flexible camera coil and with all the trappings of connectivity and High Definition. 

Pass me that Survey Shop Catalogue or a blank sheet of paper to send a letter to Santa. 

No comments: