Thursday 11 October 2018

What time is it Eccles?

I am really enjoying the BBC Radio 4 Extra broadcasts of The Goon Shows which were first aired on the BBC Light Programme in the 1950's.

It has, for me, been an acquired taste as, of course, they have been on and off the radio schedules over the last 60 years but I have never before actually "got" the madcap and cleverly written dialogue and comedic delivery, voices and all.

Perhaps I have myself mellowed and become attuned to the pace and rhythm of the performances by Messrs Secombe, Sellers and Milligan.

This is a particular favourite sketch of mine featuring the wonderfully idiotic tones from Milligan as Eccles and Sellers as Bluebottle. It comes from a radio show in 1957.

(dialogue begins over a chorus of clock chimes and tick-tocks)

Bluebottle; What time is it Eccles?

Eccles; Um, just a minute. I've got it written down here on a piece of paper. A nice man wrote it down for me this morning.

Bluebottle; Oh. Then why do you carry it around with you Eccles?

Eccles; Well, um, er, if anybody asks me the time I can show it to them

Bluebottle; Wait a minute Eccles my good man

Eccles; What is it fellow?

Bluebottle; It's writted on this bit of paper; but it's 8 o'clock he has writted.

Eccles; I know my good fellow. That's right, um, when I asked the fella to write it down it was 8 o'clock.

Bluebottle; But, um, supposin' when someone asks you the time it isn't 8 o'clock?

Eccles; Then I don't show it to them.

Bluebottle; Oh. Well, how do you know when it's 8 o'clock?

Eccles;  I got it written down on a piece of paper !

Bluebottle; I wish I could afford a piece of paper with the time written on

Eccles; Oh

Bluebottle; Hey, Eccles. Let me hold that piece of paper to my ear would you?

Eccles; Oh

Bluebottle; Here, this piece of paper ain't going!

Eccles; WWHHHAAAT! I've been sold a forgery!

Bluebottle; No wonder it stopped at 8 o'clock.

Eccles; Oh dear.

Bluebottle; You should get one of them things my grandad's got.

Eccles; Oh?

Bluebottle; His firm gave it to him when he retired.

Eccles; Oh?

Bluebottle; It's one of them things what it is that wakes you up at 8 o'clock, boils the ketteyel and pours a cup of tea.

Eccles; Oh yeah. Um what's it called?

Bluebottle. My grandma.

Eccles; Oh, (thoughtful pause and sniff). Wait a minute. How does she know when it's 8 o'clock?

Bluebottle; She's got it written down on a piece of paper!


This is an archived recording.

What time is it Eccles?

No comments: