Sunday 14 February 2021

A Journal of Surveying in the Covid Era

I've been working through the Pandemic being employed in what the Government call an essential sector of the economy- servicing the property market. 

I have a letter in the glovebox in my car to be presented to the Authorities to explain why I am out and about on the road network. My area of coverage has not diminished ins successive Lockdowns and so any number plate recognition technology will have registered my vehicle as far north as Whitby, west to the commuter villages of Harrogate and all points south and east where I am only restricted by the Humber Estuary and the North Sea. 

I have not been stopped and quizzed and indeed I have only seen one possible road-block scenario although that could as easily have been to check on road tax dodgers or for the illegal use of Red Diesel amongst country folk. 

On some days I have had rural  roads very much to myself although the motorway and trunk road networks have been as busy as under normal pre-Covid times. 

Those looking to buy, sell or re-finance their homes have been happy for me to carry out my inspections. We have provided reassurances that we are keeping to Covid Guidelines and my arrival on doorsteps in mask, gloves, single use overalls and shoe covers has not presented too frightening an appearance although I have made a point of parking around the corner to get dressed as it is not a pretty sight. 

The UK population have become desensitised to seeing persons in PPE and no one gives a second glance at my attire. 

Yes, we do get a few cancellations where occupants of a house have contracted the virus or have been contacted to self isolate and to date we have managed to re-arrange these appointments for a future date. 

There have been occasions when we have just not known who was in occupation, for example, in a large multi-let address and that has been a challenge.

I do have the discretion to simply walk away if  I feel there is any risk at all of coming into contact with the virus in a household or causing distress to vulnerable occupants and this has been the case more frequently in recent weeks as the next wave of the virus rampages through a locality. 

Working in this diligent way since last June has been testing and exhausting to all of us in our office. It is equally trying for the homeowners as our policy for an inspection to proceed is for all windows to be opened up, residents to be outside or in a single room. This was all very well in the warmer months of the year but in the recent sub zero temperatures and bitingly cold winds it has been difficult for all in the process. My passage through a property involves minimal contact with surfaces and installations. Afterwards I dispose of my overalls and clean up equipment before heading off to the next job.

I have placed my colleagues on staggered working days to minimise contact and they have continued to excel in keeping me on the road and able to service the busy workload. 

I am well stocked up with PPE for about 6 months but I can see no end date as yet for when we can return to some semblance of normality........if ever.

No comments: