Wednesday 27 February 2013

Squareback and Sides

There is an interesting vehicle database on the net entitled  'How Many Left?'.

It is both demoralising and encouraging upon reading particularly if you, like me, have a lifelong interest in cars and specific models that played an important role in your life or figured in those now hazy but fond memories of growing up. The trend is definitely downwards in terms of numbers of particular makes and models still registered with DVLA. A bit obvious given the relative fragility of automotive materials over time.

This passion could relate to your very first car, possibly something barely roadworthy and a challenge to stay alive in during the inevitable hand brake turns, cornering at unsafe speeds, not taking into account road and driving conditions or disregard for other traffic on the increasingly congested highways and by-ways of the UK. I did some madcap things on four wheels in those early years following the decision by a dour Civil Servant that I was competent to drive.

Immediately post- driving test comes a honeymoon period of careful and diligent attention. There is that strange moment on the first ever solo drive when the emotions are torn between a feeling of absolute freedom and in equal quantity, panic stricken loneliness. It is not too long however until a sense of casual immortality takes over and that can be the most dangerous period for a young driver. I was saved from serious harm by the actual vehicle in which I started my solo driving experience. It was a 1966 Mini which had been inherited from a distant elderly relative and when it arrived to be shared with my two sisters in 1979 it only had about 6000 miles on the clock. Perhaps it should have been sold on at that stage as a collectors item because in the subsequent years of use it did suffer from a few prangs, malfunctions, mis-use and overloading. It did survive and was sold last year to an enthusiast who intended to fully renovate it.

Compared to todays pocket rocket cars the Mini was positively sedate in performance although with the seat of your pants so close to the road surface any speed over 40mph seemed so much quicker. Road holding was tremendous and I have only ever experienced similar whilst hurtling around between tyre barriers in a Go-Kart.

I had an interest in cars from a very early age and could, at about 5 years I am told,  identify most types of car on the road. Not too difficult really in 1968 given that there were not many makes and models around and certainly not a lot of European or non-British manufacturers yet in popular demand.

A defining memory was my Father taking me to the Motor Show at Earls Court, London in 1969. I still have the Guide Book for the event which is as chunky as a telephone book. It was fascinating to browse through even without any photographs or pictures to capture my attention. I expect that many of the advertisers and manufacturers failed with the demise of the British Car Industry over the following couple of decades.

My main fascination with car makes came from my collection of Matchbox and Corgi models. Of course I ripped open and threw away the boxes and although I destroyed any future residual value by doing so I do not regret it now.....much. Play value, food for the imagination and that word..fun..were priceless.

Exotic cars jumped out at me from the Toy Shop window in town. De Tomaso Pantera, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Jaguar, Ford GT and Maserati, all in gawdy, glossy finished scale models some with opening doors, boots and bonnets. These high performance models have survived in full size in reasonable numbers although are still rarely seen out on the open road because of their insurance costs and residuals. Against these top range cars in my toy collection would be the everyday ones such as VW, basic Fords, Vauxhalls and a few French makes including Citroen and Matra-Simca. These in reality have been decimated by corrosion, pot holes and just becoming less stylish and desirable. Better examples have been preserved by Owners Clubs in pristine and authentic condition or customised, hot-rodded and modified in almost comic homage to the original.

The family cars, chosen and purchased by my parents, were functional but also being VW Estates, quite rare on the roads in the early 1970's. The 1600 Variant Squareback, bought brand new in 1971, has been inherited by my brother Mark and I am thrilled to say that, just yesterday, it passed its MOT and this weekend may be taken out on the road legally for the first time since 1979 .

This dedication and faith to the Variant accounts for the increase in numbers for that make and model on the ' How Many left' records from 30 to 31 in roadworthy condition. Nice One Mark.

No comments: