Thursday 8 August 2013

A First Time for Everything....Part One....of course

I have decided to embark on a bit of a self indulgent journey, well, OK, a very large self indulgent one as I am not generally known to do "bits". The theme is to be recollections of the first time of doing or experiencing something that is now commonplace and indeed not today worthy of mention because it is the norm in the lives of most of us.

The idea for this series of ramblings came to me whilst driving on the M62. I was not in any particular hurry and with the cruise control set for optimum fuel efficiency I could just sit back and let my mind wander.

Yes, it is me in the inside lane causing mayhem but I am not alone mingling with the caravanners, articulated trucks and other slow moving traffic.

I look forward to the days of the intelligent, proactive self steering car so that I can clamber into the back seat for a snooze between destinations. That may not be too far away given that we are already at the self parking stage in some models.

I have always been a keen car spotter and even at the age of six I am told that I could identify every type of motor whilst out on a family excursion. Probably not too difficult in 1969 when the home grown manufacturers ruled supremely in terms of numbers. I am led to believe that a Protectionist Policy of the British Government had imposed significant import taxes on foreign marques making them uncompetitive even if, on a nut for nut, panel for panel and walnut dash for walnut dash comparison they may have been better.

I am not saying that I, at age 6, scammed the family but in just repeating a steady stream of Morris, Austin, Vauxhall, Jaguar, Mini, Rover, Ford I would ,by the law of averages eventually coincide with whatever vehicle happened to be approaching.

My wandering M62 motorway mind took to an informal census of the cars passing me by as though I had regressed to 1969.

On a country of origin basis a typical sample of twenty motor cars consisted of German, German, German, German, German, Japanese, Korean, Japanese, French, Japanese, Japanese, Spanish, Japanese, Japanese, American, Japanese, German, Swedish, Japanese, Czech Republic.

A stark contrast from my childhood spotting which was almost exclusively of British makes.

Although now heavily weighted in favour of EU and Far Eastern makes the transition has actually been quite slow.

Main obstacles were evidently based on National pride and the desire and determination to Buy British in spite of quite obvious issues over quality control, reliability, fuel economy, styling and resale value. Let's face it. My father spent more time tackling the rust attacking the wings and cills of his Morris Minor than using it out on the highways and by-ways.

There was also a very tangible suspicion over foreign cars.

French makes were a bit too looney tunes for the conservative Britisher. What was that hydraulic suspension about? What about the steering column or dash mounted gear shift and the outrageously ménage a trois front seat benching?

Swedish cars were heavy, fashioned from a single slab of granite and cumbersome but meeting the exacting requirements of accountants and estate agents on the grounds of good residual values.

The Dutch had the eccentric Daffodil but this easily wilted.

The Germans had not yet been forgiven for their policy of bombing UK cities although secretly a good proportion of prospective buyers coveted the prestigious BMW and Mercedes models or fancied the wacky and individualistic Beetle.

Other fringe makes had sneaked in such as the huge kerb to kerb American cruisers, usually brought in by US serviceman on Cold War Duties and then flogged off to those seeing their share of The Dream but in East Anglia or a few fancy sports cars from the Italians or smaller manufacturers.

You may have noticed the complete absence in the late 1960's of any reference by me to Japanese cars.

This was the case which is hard to comprehend today given the dominance of that country in all things automotive.

A few Honda's had been brought into the UK in the late 1960's but even attempting speculative sales was shunned because it was assumed that there would be no interest or demand whatsoever. I believe that the shipment of vehicles was left on the dock or just sent back for a refund.

I do, however, remember the first time that I saw a Japanese made car.

One of the neighbours brought one home one day, I think that it was a Nissan or Datsun make and with an airy fairy model name such as Cherry or Sunny. It may even have been an error in translation  into English as I would refer to them as the Cheery and Sunday. These names more aptly described the curious cars.

Small, compact, angular and with a mixture of conventional snub nose and yet a sharply raking and sporty hatchback or boot profile. They completely trumped the nearest offerings from the home grown market such as the Ford Anglia and Triumph Dolomite.

British cars were always in drab and boring pastel colours and with the only concessions to style being in the form of chrome trim, a contrasting vinyl roof or a go faster stripe.

The most striking thing about my introduction to a Japanese car was the gawdy metallic paint job, deep, lustrous, almost chameleon like as the sunlight hit it. For a small car it gave the impression of being a quality item especially in the impressionable minds of my fellow, now 7 plus years old mates.

There were murmurings and rumours that what our Dad's referred to as,in the permissible racist days of the period, Jap Crap was actually pretty good.

This was no better illustrated by our neighbour sailing off the drive every winter morning in his Cheery Sunday whatever, whilst the rest of the car drivers struggled to start up less reliable British cars.

They remained a rare sight on the roads for a good decade or so. I recall a Far East Veteran retaining a less than forgiving attitude towards his former captors and yet the proud owner of a Honda which he, ironically, watered and attended to as though part of a written convention on standards and care.

I do not even bother now to acknowledge Japanese Cars because of their dominance. I am resolute in my position of not having ever owned one because, frankly, they are bland, plain and altogether boring unless of course that nation produce the first intelligent, proactive self steering car. I would under such circumstances be the first in the queue, camping on the doorstep of the Nissanhondatoyota dealership down on the industrial estate.

No comments: