Saturday 11 July 2015

Two Timing on Two Wheels

I felt like I was cheating on Loretta.

It felt like it because I was.

I should explain.

Loretta is the name I gave to my custom made racing bike, a Langdale Lightweight back in 1982 when I collected her from the bike shop ( funnily enough called Langdale Lightweights) in uphill east Nottingham.

I was an impoverished student at the time but a generous bequest from my maternal Grandfather was ring fenced for a true-bred machine on which I could pursue my interest in competitive cycle racing. So me and Loretta began our love affair and me and she are going pretty well for our respective ages and physical/mechanical composition.

She has had a couple of overhauls in the last 33 years although much of the original equipment, being top of the range Campagnolo Super Record of that era is running smoothly and efficiently as only master-crafted Italian bike transmission and braking equipment can.

Most of the modifications have been prompted by my age related loss of fitness, so a wider range of gears has been necessary,  or sorry to say where comments from fellow riders on Loretta's somewhat antique components have been hurtful but have goaded me into an upgrade.

She has been much admired all the same and those who are of my own generation and with a genuine interest in and knowledge of cycling have been besotted  with Loretta as much as I continue to be.

So what is all this about my two-timing?

Well, Loretta has been in the bike shop this week for some essential work and a check-up ahead of a big Sportive Ride in a couple of weeks time. My resurgence of fitness from a shedding of a  couple of stones, gym training twice a week and a regular 60 to 100 road miles a week has given me confidence to enter some events. It is a major step given that my last competitive event was in the late 1980's.

I was planning to ride the course of the forthcoming event today, to find out what I had actually signed up for, but the bike shop informed me late yesterday that they were still waiting for the delivery of a main part and Loretta was still stripped down in readiness but unrideable.

Time was running out to reccy the route and topography due to work and family commitments and it had to be this or next saturday or not at all.

My son and I decided to postpone for 7 days but needed to get in a good training session anyway.

I cheekily asked if I could borrow my son's spare bike in Loretta's absence. He said yes but with a qualifying comment that I might be too heavy for it.

It is a gun metal grey Giant Defy model, about two years old, very light in oversized aluminium tubing, high specification and critically with 18 gears to choose from to make any terrain manageable. It is just a bike but rested up against  Loretta in the garage where they live I would say that they are as different as a steam engine and a bullet train.

The geometry of the Giant is radical in comparison. Cables are concealed. Brake levers and gear levers are integrated. The ride is reassuringly taut but responsive. Handling is crisp and reactive.

In just dwelling on these things I have betrayed Loretta but what is even worse is the fact that I took the Giant out for a 50 mile romp and I enjoyed it. Not only that but I returned home remarkably refreshed and re-invigorated in everything cycling.

I will not be able to face Loretta with a clear conscience when I pick her up from her make-over during the week. She will be able to sense my unease and will certainly notice that I have topped up my typically Neapolitan sun tan on arms and legs on a ride in her absence not to mention that tell tail residue of three in one oil on the inside of my right leg from the chain-drive of another.

No comments: