Saturday 20 August 2011

The etiquette of the Call Centre

The western world has been founded on the hard sell and will no doubt founder the same way.

I was hoping that the emerging Nations would follow their own way and not simply get into the bad habits in commerce and business that is, unfortunately, the trademark of our life and culture.

Imagine therefore my shock and dismay at the following series of telephonic events on the evening of 19th August 2011.

6.06pm. Telephone rings..........I do not get there in time (The Simpsons on TV)

6.12pm. Telephone rings. I pick up but do not say anything (after all it is my downtime and I can refuse to speak if I want to). Sound of static, rings off.

6.20pm. Telephone rings. I am ready. Pick up with courteous welcome. Distant voice

"Mr Thomson. I would like to speak to you about your computer".

I reply

"I do not have one in the house" (a technical untruth).

The caller replies "don't waste my time, **** off, goodbye".

I assume that on this occasion that the practice of recording the conversation for training purposes was switched off.

No comments: