Monday 22 August 2011

Father's VW's-The Quest

I am determined to find good homes for Father's classic VW's. I have had a great response from The VW Owners Club who have been tremendously helpful and want to come across and see them and advise. They must go to enthusiasts who want them for what they are. Need washing first.

The VW estate is a 1971 Variant also known as a Type 3 Squareback (USA description). Harrison Ford borrowed his sisters and crashed it into a dovecote in the film Witness. They are now quite rare. I remember Father taking me for a test drive in the fastback saloon version in 1971 and we went to the coast. SNM 737J came from Luton or Dunstable and the list price was just under £1000. I was mortified when I snapped off the wing mirror putting it in the garage in 1979 where it has been ever since. Not sure if it can actually be moved, even pushed.

The VW Scirocco is a Mark 2, E registered but I do not remember much about it as Father had it when I was away at Trent Poly in the early 1980's. Sporty coupe with spoiler across the rear glass hatchback. Not as nice or striking as the Mark 1 Father had in the late 1970's.

Both cars would be good projects. Most Type 3's get customised. There is a Type 3 on a Classic Car web site being advertised at £19,500. Fab motor though.

We will see what we can do..................................

No comments: