Wednesday 7 May 2014

1866 and all that-Part 1

We can learn a lot from the lessons of the past. Take, for example, the rich heritage of the English Language and its fluidity of development over the generations. To illustrate the dynamic nature of words I have dipped into my trusty, thick and fusty edition of the Dictionary of Noah Webster LL.D in its tenth edition from 1866. I acquired the book for a few pence at an auction house some 30 or so years ago and I find myself forever wandering back to the attic to retrieve it to consult on a matter of pronunciation, derivation and spelling or to just cheat at Scrabble. I intend to show the relevance of certain words, long since forgotten in everyday conversation, and champion them to return victoriously into our modern vocabulary.

Abalienated- (transferred from one to another) as in "I went to the Bank to withdraw some funds from my current account in order for these to be abalienated into my savings account"

Beslubbering-(to smear with spittle). "When I purchased the postage stamps from the Post Office I mistakenly purchased the non adhesive type and underwent the public humiliation of beslubbering them in order to catch the last post"

Crizzel-(a kind of roughness on the surface). That Cillit Bang is useless if there is any crizzel in the bathtub.

Deracination (act of pulling up by the roots). I was the victim of deracination when it was discovered that my parents were not members of the nobility.

Effrenation (unruliness). I was involved in a bit of effrenation in Tesco's over a misunderstanding with a very similarly laden trolley to my own.

Fisk (run about). The MOTORS FOR SALE sector in the local paper advertised a Ford Fisk.

Granitification (being formed into granite). In the purposeful resurrection of an old magic spell he intentionally turned himself to stone ie self gratification granitification.

Huck (haggle in trading). After an attempt to negotiate a reduction in some cut price fresh fruit the stall holder told me to Huck Off.

Impurpling (tinging with purple). After walking into the closed door I could feel my nose impurpling on my face.

Jub (bottle or vessel). He was keen on recycling and often took his empties down to the jub centre.

Kerchiefed (dressed, hooded) The sun was beating down on Skegness Sea Front and many of the holidaymakers were appropriately kerchiefed.

Lumbriciformous (Resembling a worm in shape). It was not until the women on the bus pointed and screamed that I was aware there was something lumbriciformus protruding below the front of my zip up jacket.

Mity (abounding with mites). It was a mity problem in our house when nitty-nora arrived on the doorstep.


to be the subject of perduration

















No comments: