Monday 16 June 2014

We Ran, They Ran, He Ran, She Ran, Iran

Monday 16th June 2014.

I am getting through a few jobs and tasks to clear the way for a World Cup evening.

I stayed up to watch the England v Italy match on saturday, not getting to sleep until about 2am early sunday morning. This could be attributed to the inevitable anti-climax of watching the national team play and the need for a post-mortem, autopsy, "what-if?" musings and statistical analysis but in fact ,and I am prepared to admit, it was down to consumption of an unwise mixture of spicy snacks, sugary sweets and gassy beer just before my normal going to bed time.

That and perching on the edge of my chair, shouting, screaming and cheering just the once did nothing to assist the digestive process.

Of course, a saturday night kick-off is just asking for trouble with a very long lead-in time amounting to at least 12 hours in a pub or even longer in the back garden with a barbecue, the neighbours, in-laws and best mates in attendance. I was staggered to witness the disappearance of a huge stack of boxed beer from its clever positioning at the supermarket checkout between my purchase of the morning paper and a visit to purchase something for lunch only a handful of hours later on.

Tonight is different though. It has been a working day. I am a bit tired and jaded.

Usually I would cherry-pick the most promising games to watch.

I love to see the speed and skills of the South American countries, the structural shape of the northern Europeans, the enthusiasm of the United States, optimism of the Japanese and the "just go for it" attitude of the African nations.

It has been an interesting start to the first group stage matches with a few upsets, scares and displays of rare fallibility of key players but above all, plenty of goals.

The Van Persie directed header ranks amongst the best I have seen in any league or competition.

The 8pm game this evening is one that I would normally be inclined to overlook. I know nothing about Iran and not too much more about their opponents Nigeria but I will be watching in the company of a new acquaintance from Iran which will be an interesting experience.

I expect that by the end of the evening I will be fluent in Persian in all of the usual football terms and chants relating to unwell tropical birds and the disputed parentage of the referee amongst many more sentiments that are not readily translatable in otherwise polite and civilised company.

No comments: