Sunday 1 May 2016

Tour de Yorkshire- a bit gushy, I know

I have every respect and admiration for the Pro Riders on this years Tour de Yorkshire.

I rode out to see Stage 1 on friday, a round trip of only 35 miles from my home for a bit of static spectating with my son from the open south aspect, but front row, race-side of a bus shelter.

We were not far off hypothermic from that "apocalyptic weather" as declared by commentator Ned Boulting and our plans to ride up to Scarborough to see the final stage today were thwarted by a resulting feverish state in head and accompanying feebleness in muscles.

To a cyclist, there is nothing worse than making a plan, getting keyed up and prepared to embark but then being struck down by a performance changing physical state.

The tremendous field of riders at the TdY2016 endured, over the three days, some 13 on the road hours of exposure to the elements, or as we call it, the well known Yorkshire climate of four seasons in one day.

In a state of convalescence I spent a most enjoyable, thrilling and motivating few hours watching the live TV coverage of Stage 3 from the comfort, draught-proof and almost balmy environment of my living room.

I lived every pedal stroke and was breathless at every exertion on the harsh undulations of the tortuous route, such was the all engrossing nature of the action being played out before me. I loathed the steep hills and feared the rapid descents.It was a stage full of ups and downs.

For the armchair cyclist the hours flew by as though mere minutes.

The final couple of kilometres had a therapeutic effect, in particular my shouting and screaming at Nicholas Roche and Thomas Voeckler to just keep going for fear of their being overwhelmed by the chasers.

There was a horrible moment when Voeckler veered off to the right of the roundabout just before the cobbled section which runs between the sea wall and the base of Scarborough Castle cliff face. I feared for two possible outcomes of this manouevre based on my own knowledge of the seaside resort, both nasty, either an involuntary entry into the quayside funfair or a plunge into the cold, murky waters of the harbour.

It was with relief that he came back into view as the TV camera panned to wide angle having lost no ground to Roche who had taken the shorter, official approach and exit to the island.

I had to make a quick choice when it was clear that they were the dual contenders for the overall winner of the three day epic race.

Being a big fan of Roche Senior in his racing days I was inclined to root for his talented son but opted for Voeckler as he is nearer my own age and well, it is accepted  that old guys need to support each other's dreams and aspirations.

Our living room rocked with joy at his victory. I could have jumped on my bike and ridden up to share in his obvious elation at this performance, had it not been for the fever, aches, etc, etc, etc, etc..........

The Tour de Yorkshire, after only its second running has become established as a tremendous three day event, to follow on from 2015 and on my very own doorstep. All credit must go to the Organisation and many volunteers who made it a visual and emotional experience not to be forgotten. As for the massive crowds and enthusiastic support, well, roll on next year.

No comments: