Monday 2 May 2016

Family Planning

I feel a little bit better, although still very mortified, by the news that a good proportion of parent's regularly raid the piggy banks and money boxes of their children for everyday expenses.

I admit to having done that very thing for some years.

I have shamelessly worked on the insider knowledge of generous gifts of coinage from doting grandparents that the children, when very young, were not aware of nor would they actually appreciate that they were quids in.

There was no question that I was technically misappropriating the funds.

Had I been in charge of a petty cash float in a business context or donations in a charitable sphere and adopted the same practice then I would be open to criminal action and all of the sanctions that go with that.

However, I contend that I have a moral legitimacy to tap into this resource on the basis that I am investing in a roundabout way for their longer term futures.

The moneys may seem to be frittered away on a food shop, to pay a domestic bill or to help fill up the family car with fuel. Such expenditure is essential to the smooth and efficient running of a household. I can truthfully and without fear of contradiction state that I have not profited personally from any re-assignment of cash nor gambled or speculated with it.

Perhaps the most selfish application would be for the purchase of a takeaway meal where I am responsible for the choice of menu and also undertake the logistics of going to order and bring it back but yet we all share in it.

When the children were younger the pickings were fairly spartan, as I said, but in teenage years with an allowance and also potential income from part time and casual jobs there can be quite a tangible reserve at my disposal.

I do make a point of asking for a subby first although I find that very difficult and in some respects regard it as a failure as a parent and father.

If the children are out at school and I am confronted with an expense I just dip into the nearest jar of coins, stack of pennies or deposits of loose change which have been left lying around as though discarded. I admit to having used a kitchen knife or a scale ruler to tease coins out of a piggy savings bank but that has to be a last resort regardless of the pressing circumstances.

In most instances the re-allocation of monies goes unnoticed and I may get an opportunity to actually reimburse within a few days. This can take the form of paper money to replace a handful of shiny, higher denomination coins so I am actually repaying any "loan"with accumulated interest as well as the capital.

This access to cash, which the media have dubbed "Bank of Baby" does appear to play a significant role in the UK economy being the oil to grease the wheels of local commerce. In current hard times the involuntary funding by the children can keep a family above the poverty line and out of the clutches of loan sharks and other high interest lenders.

When I was in my teenage years I received, and gratefully, one penny per week per year of my age. In the 1970's this was more than enough to cover my Speed and Power Magazine, plentiful goodies and even for a short period meant that I could adopt smoking as a hobby. I did learn the error of my ways. The magazine print run ended, the price of sweets rose with the rampant inflation of those times and my Mother found out about my unhealthy pastime.

I appreciate that my own children have had a higher standard of living to aspire to notwithstanding peer pressure to have the current and next trainers, clothes and consumables. This is reflected in their levels of pocket money and other incomes. Take baby sitting, for example, I used to earn £2 for a full evening when old enough to be trusted with younger siblings or neighbours kids. I understand that the going rate is now about £20 plus perks.

In all, it is possible for youngsters to accumulate quite a savings pot.

Perhaps in the not too distant future they may be encouraged to start a pension whilst still at school or take out an investment to accumulate towards a first house purchase. That would be a shame to heap yet more expectations and stresses on a generation to destroy any prospect of any childhood innocence and enjoyment.

So, what better way to alleviate tension by using their monies for said everyday expenses.

It is not as though they will not ever get it back is it?

The term "Bank of Mum and Dad" is now firmly entrenched in our modern society. This is the vehicle by which those earlier purloined funds are returned in full plus access to our own experience and life skills.

I therefore feel wholly justified, like the reported 30% to 40% of other parents of taking on the role of a practical Robin Hood character.

There rests the case for the defence.

No comments: