Wednesday 12 October 2011

Seasick Steve

"........ I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left". This is my new life philosophy and mantra for the modern age, thanks to the modestly influential man of our times Seasick Steve. I can honestly say that I want for nothing of a material nature. I can easily browse through the sunday papers and glossy supplements and be immune to the seductive texts and images for cars, gadgets and someone's idea of the next best thing for enrichment and appreciation of my existence. I continually frustrate the sales staff at Carphone Warehouse and similar outlets who are intent on selling me a smart phone on a customised slug or similar animal tariff with so many hours of free calls and texts yet all I want is to make actual telephone calls and on the odd occasion have a durable and bright torch to investigate dark spaces or signal for help. I do acknowledge that smart phones and pads are remarkable developments in personal communications and in working and I have no intention to wade into an Apple Store and act like a 21st Century Luddite but is life really richer in having instant access to the whole world? The latest all media marketing campaign for the iPad2 promotes that piece of technology as the new way to do things. Call me old fashioned but I like to read from a well thumbed book and, yes, annoyingly to some, turn over the corners as an impromptu marker  (I draw a line though at writing notes in between the lines or in the margins), watch films on my TV in glorious size and colour and throw things at the screen if necessary , read recipes from a proper flour dusted or tomato pipped cook book which keeps falling over or loses the page, conduct business meetings as they should be face to face , warts and all and have the normal interaction with family and friends in a touchy feely type way as the situation and level of intimacy allows.

No comments: