Friday 7 December 2012

You Raise me up (only at high tide though)

They're really kind in Hull.

They even lift up the bridge to let the birds fly through.




I should explain that this opportunity arose from my position at the very front of the traffic queue  when the warning lights and barriers came down. The operation of the bridge was actually to allow a low barge through but the mast had been folded down to allow passage under the other bridges on this stretch of the river. There was none of the usual strange sight of a Red Duster Flag seemingly floating independently through the gap in the road.

I apologise for the soundtrack which is a Richard and Judy Show. Odd, you may say that I have a TV broadcast on a live video. The really geeky amongst you may spot that the windscreen wiper in the foreground is of a type fitted to a Volvo XC70 Lux which I owned for a couple of years and which had a pop-up television in the dashboard. Purely coincidental is the narrative by R & J on the subject of the release of the film about the MP and anti-slavery campaigner William Wilberforce, himself a son of Hull and with his historic home just a few hundred metres away from this particular crossing point of the River Hull. The Amazing Grace film was relased in 2006 which makes me look a bit sad in my keeping of this mundane clip for all that time.  

The bridge is often out of action being a grand old installation but is a fine example of industrial design in civil engineering.

No comments: