Tuesday 6 September 2011

The ethical man

I met with Mr Chaudary today. I haven't seen him for about 10 years and it was nice to see him again. He has not changed at all in that time, slight of build, white haired, dark brown eyes and with a mischievous and disarming manner which has obviously done him well in commerce and life. He reminded me that we had done a lot of business in the past and I was pleased to hear that he considered that a particularly difficult purchase had been marshalled through by my tenacity and he now referred to that shop property as "Mr Thomson's". I thought that a handwritten sign to that effect would not look out of place on a very up-market coffee bar or bistro but the rather plain premises trade, in fact, as a Polski Smak. He was complimentary in my endeavours on his behalf in the matter of a blockhouse building behind his row of shops and with which, I recall, there had been considerable wranglings with a Utility Company over rent and rights. He had taken the Corporation to the Supreme Court and was now the proud owner of the windowless building and remaining parts of a transformer. Mr Chaudary is now 78 years old but has the energy and determination in business that would have all of the Den Dragons in an undignified scrum to become a partner in his ventures.I have been privileged to know him for a short phase in his later life and I am richer for it in terms of appreciating an ethical approach to business and acquaintances and the value of extending courtesy to those whom I come across in the workplace, in society and in the wider world. I was sad to hear that his sons and daughters, whilst successful in their own fields of law, accountancy and medecine, did not want to take up the retail and property based concerns that he had built up but such is the progression of successive generations. Their own take on life will be inspired by their father and that is a lasting and appropriate legacy for my friend Mr Chaudary.

No comments: